3 posts
  • Slovakia
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
patie says

What you think about this ? Zurb foundation released now version 4 (mobile first) resonsive framework.. i think would be great see on themeforest more template builded on top of zurb foundation ! :)

127 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Norway
Veuse says

Zurb is a fantastic framework, but version 4 is not IE8 compatible. Since it is built mobile-first, and ie8 does not support media-queries, it will display mobile layout on ie8.

I believe IE8 support is mandatory on TF-themes.

We have a framework based on Foundation 3.2, but we will probably wait a good while before converting to version 4.

3 posts
  • Slovakia
patie says

Zurb is a fantastic framework, but version 4 is not IE8 compatible. Since it is built mobile-first, and ie8 does not support media-queries, it will display mobile layout on ie8.

I believe IE8 support is mandatory on TF-themes.

We have a framework based on Foundation 3.2, but we will probably wait a good while before converting to version 4.

thanks for fast response.

but imho “life path” of IE6-IE8 slowly but surely ends.. Google Apps, jQuery 2.0 ant others drop ie8 too..

it is time to drop the old and entering a new era

127 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Norway
Veuse says

it is time to drop the old and entering a new era

Fair enough, but as long as our clients want ie8 support, we will have to deliver it to not fall out of the competition. More than 10% use ie8 (Worldwide). Still a pretty large group.

127 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Norway
Veuse says

<!- Double post ->

3 posts
  • Slovakia
patie says

10% of IE, not all browsers.. and ie has about ~ 14% ? so thats not large group… but yes, i understand

127 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Norway
Veuse says

10% of IE, not all browsers.. and ie has about ~ 14% ? so thats not large group… but yes, i understand
No, more than 10% off all users are on IE8. Ie has a market-share of approx. 30%.

I don’t know where you get your numbers from (wp3schools.com perhaps?). Those are not global stats.

You should check out http://gs.statcounter.com/

82 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
subwaymatch says

Zurb’s foundation is an amazing framework for sure. But here are my “personal” reasons for not implementing it.

1. As discussed above, it doesn’t support IE8. I haven’t tested the version 4 in IE8, but this is just a huge drawback for me. I am okay with dropping support for IE6 and 7, but not 8.

2. Both Foundation and Bootstrap would be better utilized when implemented with a minimal design. By that, I mean a flat UI – no gradients and only minimal use of borders. It just takes too much time to “reset” the design and start fresh.

These frameworks should be as naked as possible in terms of design.

3. The CSS needs more comments and should also be more readable. Unless you’re planning to use it right out-of-the-box, it takes a long time to understand how everything works even for an experienced developer.

Again, Foundation is awesome if it’s right for you. There’s not much out there to beat it. Almost every problem I faced as a front-end developer could be resolved by using Foundation. 8-)

127 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Norway
Veuse says

2. Both Foundation and Bootstrap would be better utilized when implemented with a minimal design. By that, I mean a flat UI – no gradients and only minimal use of borders. It just takes too much time to “reset” the design and start fresh.

Totally agree. Wish they had an “unskinned” base-style.

127 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Norway
Veuse says

Zurb has released a patch for adding ie8 support for Foundation 4:

https://gist.github.com/zurbchris/5068210
by
by