• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

For me, the benefit of getting up early is the lack of distractions. It’s the only time that no one else is awake. If I get up around 5am, I can usually get at least three hours work done before taking the kids to school. That’s useful! And it takes the pressure off the rest of the day.

This is actually a working strategy. I do this whenever a tricky project requires few continuous hours without distractios (4-8 am). Even have memories of few works that done this way! But couldn’t just continue this as all time routine due to problems in arranging early sleep time consistently.

403 posts Keep Walking
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
UXbarn says

I used to be a working-at-night guy and I liked doing that for a while. I loved the silence at night which make me concentrate to the work. At that time, I wake up at around 17:00 while other people going back home, having first meal while others having dinner.

One day I felt like “God, why my day is so short…”. I don’t know the reason of feeling like that because actually we all have the same hours in a day. Also, I really felt lonely, bored, unhealthy and not happy anymore. They are just feelings but growing bigger day by day. (Or are they the side effects of hormone in the body?)

So I decided to change my behaviors and activities in life.

Now I wake up at 7:00, start working at 9:00 and sleep before 0:00. I don’t know that the phrase of “Morning people are always happier and more productive” is true or false. But what I can say from my life is that it changes everything, making me happier than before, giving my life back. And yes, it makes me more productive.

Anyway, sometimes my day is too long so I have to take a nap in the afternoon. :)

905 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Community Superstar
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • South Africa
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+1 more
joiaco says

I definitely have a positive, optimistic and very steady temperament. Since i was a small child i wake with the birds. Normally i only sleep 5 to 6 hours a night. Lying awake between 4-6 am is my most creatively productive time.

Somewhere i read that sleep is required to ‘detoxify’ the body from the ‘waste products’ that are made by firing neurotransmitters in the brain. Maybe i just don’t think very effectively. :)

474 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
rayoflightt says

When I had office job I was a morning person but not happy. I can’t stand waking up before 8-9 am. For creative job I’m more productive during the night because I need silence to concentrate to work. I discovered that I need few hours of work to achieve full commitment and best results and that usually happens in the evening and lasts to 2-3 am when I have to stop and force my self to go to sleep because on the other hand I dislike to spend whole next day sleeping. So I would love that I don’t need to sleep ever. Few times I actually have not sleep whole night and continue next day without any need for sleep until the evening but then I was afraid that maybe I’m not able to sleep anymore so I avoid doing that again. One of my plans for next year would be to go to sleep before midnight and to wake up in 8-9 am. :)

1030 posts Massfocus
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Beta Tester
+3 more
Massfocus says

I have a super unhealthy sleep rhythm since i was about 17, i don’t even know if i have insomnia or not but that period i’d be awake for 2 days going to school and sleep one night and so forth for a long long time.. nowadays 10 years later i still don’t sleep at regular times. And it surely does affect my work-process. I can have a great week where i wake up at around 6am without a alarm and work until around 6-7 but after that i get useless like most people here know also. But my biggest issue is that i can’t keep up this awesome time schedule, you have so much to take out of your day when waking up before anyone else does, it just makes the days FEEL more productive for me at least.

But anyway, i can hold this schedule for at most a month and i fall back again in my bad bad sleep behavior where i don’t sleep the entire night and sleep the next day at around 6 – 7pm and so forth, if i stay in that slump for long enough i get productive again but in the start of this sleep transition phase i must say i am completely useless, and do 50% less work then what i could normally achieve.

I think the most important factor is having a healthy rhythm even if you do night shifts. Just being able to switch your mind and body and getting your priorities straight etc.

Anyway, this is just my messed up experience. Very cool discussion, i love reading others experiences.

Edit* And Happy Anniversary !:)

122 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
BrianHermelijn says

First of happy anniversary, Adrian!

Well let me start by saying that I am no expert when it comes to knowing whether someone is productive during morning or not. Although been a young freelancer gives me the opportunity to try other possibly working schedules. Here is how my typical daily routine (still adjusting it) is like:

Wakes up around : 4:00 AM – 5:00 AM

Meditate 15-30 minutes

Browse for 15-45 minutes on: Google Reader(Dribbble, Finer Minds, Zenhabits, Techspot, BGR, Big

Think, Six Revision, Abduzeedo) , Deviant Art (Group).

Starts working at 6:30 AM – 11:00 AM (Sometimes I lack creativity during those hours) Break for 2 hours (Lunch)

Depends how hot it’s I return back to working at 1 PM – 9/10 PM (Most of the time I tend to get a bit creative in those hours)

That’s how my day is, but then again I am trying to adjust it a bit more. Aside from that one thing that I should definitely start doing is using a journal (no digital) for notes purpose and ideas.

And thanks for bringing up this discussion it’s definitely something one needs to take into consideration especially when they do not have a good schedule to work with.

59 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
JenniMcCarthy says

I am a Morning person who is married to a Night Owl. I’m usually awake between 5-6am, workout, shower and start my day. Most productive between 8am-2pm and dead to the world by 9pm.

My husband wakes up between 10am-3pm and he is Wicked Productive! He takes longer to actually wake up but once he’s awake he goes non-stop.

I think it depends on the individual and your biological makeup and what works best for you.

5391 posts
  • Australia
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

@uxbarn, i have been known to have a “nana nap” in the afternoon lol too !

8190 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

For me, the benefit of getting up early is the lack of distractions. It’s the only time that no one else is awake. If I get up around 5am, I can usually get at least three hours work done before taking the kids to school. That’s useful! And it takes the pressure off the rest of the day.
This is actually a working strategy. I do this whenever a tricky project requires few continuous hours without distractios (4-8 am). Even have memories of few works that done this way! But couldn’t just continue this as all time routine due to problems in arranging early sleep time consistently.

but you don’t want to have to do 3 hours before the rest of the world gets up AND then a usual 8 hour day… you have to find when you’re most productive and go all out during that period… which for me is now so i’m off to code with a bottle of Rioja :D

222 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
adriantry Staff says

Thanks for the anniversary comments everyone. And a happy quarter century to SportTipsWorld!

by
by
by
by
by
by