• Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Leupsi says

Hi my friends,
i have a problem with After Effects and activated motion blur.
At projects where i have created a 3D scene and wanted to animate some different camera movements in one composition, i’ve noticed that if motion blur is activated my camera transitions
(instant transition, length: 2 frames) get destroyed cause it looks really blurry and it’s not a hard and clean transition i would like to achieve with linear keyframes.

Of course this problem doesn’t appear if motion blur is deactivated anyway i don’t know how to get rid of this issue or is the only way to fix this to draw up a composition for each camera animation and put them together in a final composition? I really appreciate any help!

Thank’s in advance! :)

117 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
VProxy says

Reduce the Shutter Angle and Shutter Phase values to get better results.

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
+5 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Hi my friends,
i have a problem with After Effects and activated motion blur.
At projects where i have created a 3D scene and wanted to animate some different camera movements in one composition, i’ve noticed that if motion blur is activated my camera transitions
(instant transition, length: 2 frames) get destroyed cause it looks really blurry and it’s not a hard and clean transition i would like to achieve with linear keyframes.

Of course this problem doesn’t appear if motion blur is deactivated anyway i don’t know how to get rid of this issue or is the only way to fix this to draw up a composition for each camera animation and put them together in a final composition? I really appreciate any help! Thank’s in advance! :)

If you’re doing a camera transition over 2 frames, you’d expect there to be a lot of motion blur. In fact, it won’t feel right without it.

In a 3D scene, the movement is not about the movement of the camera vs. the movement of the layers as 2 separate things; it’s about the movement of all layers relative to the camera. That’s why you can’t separate them.

How about taking a real camera (and a proper one with a little bit of weight). Try whip-panning from anywhere to anywhere in 1/10th second. Impossible. You’ll need more like half a second, and you’ll have an acceleration in, an overshoot and a recovery. If you wanted to make a faster whip pan with a real camera, you’d need to speed it up in post. So why not try the same technique here. Animate the camera over 12 frames, then speed up the comp at that point using time-remapping. If you start to think about your After Effects camera as a real camera, you’ll do yourself a lot of favours in terms of how you conceptualise scenes.

So your blur problem is probably about the way you animate your camera. Maybe try the movement over 3 or 4 frames with a little ease in and ease out. Maybe try unquantizing the frames by moving the keyframes off round frame numbers. This will feel more natural for very fast movements.

You could experiment with a 90 degree shutter angle overall instead of 180 (in composition settings). This will make motion blur 50% smaller across the board.

Finally, you could try this horrible, ugly hack-cheat-thing, that bears no resemblance to what a camera can do in real lift: use CC Force Motion Blur on your composition and reduce the shutter angle just for those 2 frames where the transition is. Yeuch!

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
+5 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Reduce the Shutter Angle and Shutter Phase values to get better results.

The Shutter Phase will just offset the mid-point of the motion blur.

Very important in match-moving, but not of much use in terms of how animation feels…. unless you see it as an across the board poor-man’s de-quantizing.

199 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Leupsi says

Thank’s for your detailed help!
I can really comprehend your example with a real camera thank’s for this explanation! :)

1682 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Germany
+1 more
Creattive says

Do you want it to look like a hard cut, like there are 2 scenes and you jump from one to the other? then use multiple cameras und trim them according to the length of the scene they are used for.

if you have your one camera layer already keyframed like you want duplicate it and trim the original to the first keyframe of your transition. also erase all keyframes after that point to get rid of the motionblur. set the in-point of the copy to match with the out-point of the original camera. delete all keyframes before the inpoint to get rid of the motionblur.

by
by
by
by
by
by