• United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says
You can operate a PC mostly without the mouse, sure things like graphic work need the mouse but coding is keyboard input, you can toggle programs with ALT -TAB and toggle tabs with CTRL -TAB or CTRL -SHIFT-TAB and if you know the shortcuts for your IDE then you can open / create files and debug stuff easily… why do you need the mouse for debugging? FlashDevelop is FULL of keyboard shortcuts :)

What about 10 tabs and 10 windows?

Debugging: How do you go with the keyboard at line 734, character 205? 7 Page Down’s, and 30 seconds holding the right arrow key?
Stop making only preloaders :P :)

lol :D

Doesn’t matter how many programs / windows / tabs… its still v quick :)

Not quite thought, CTRL -G to go to whatever line you want and then CTRL -G again to go to the position :) You can also scroll right and left really quickly using the HOME and END key and / or the CTRL and arrow keys… far faster than taking your hand off the keys, to the mouse, moving the mouse to where you want which would mean scrolling to line 734 and then counting the characters? lol :D

You can also then highlight stuff in the same way using CTRL SHIFT and an arrow key :)

Seriously, when you know the shortcuts it is faster :)

4335 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+6 more
Reaper-Media Volunteer moderator says

After 2 hours (i think) of flash + php development (firefox = right screen (4:3), flash + dreamweaver = left screen (16:9))

link

You can operate a PC mostly without the mouse, sure things like graphic work need the mouse but coding is keyboard input, you can toggle programs with ALT -TAB and toggle tabs with CTRL -TAB or CTRL -SHIFT-TAB and if you know the shortcuts for your IDE then you can open / create files and debug stuff easily… why do you need the mouse for debugging? FlashDevelop is FULL of keyboard shortcuts :)

What about 10 tabs and 10 windows?

Debugging: How do you go with the keyboard at line 734, character 205? 7 Page Down’s, and 30 seconds holding the right arrow key?
Stop making only preloaders :P :)

lol :D

Doesn’t matter how many programs / windows / tabs… its still v quick :)

Not quite thought, CTRL -G to go to whatever line you want and then CTRL -G again to go to the position :) You can also scroll right and left really quickly using the HOME and END key and / or the CTRL and arrow keys… far faster than taking your hand off the keys, to the mouse, moving the mouse to where you want which would mean scrolling to line 734 and then counting the characters? lol :D

You can also then highlight stuff in the same way using CTRL SHIFT and an arrow key :)

Seriously, when you know the shortcuts it is faster :)

wait what? i find using my mouse to select text waaay quicker than using shift + arrow keys, how long does it take you to switch over man? Also I find double clicking string patters to select really speeds up my workflow, that has to be like 10x faster then using a keyboard! :D :P

8183 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
wait what? i find using my mouse to select text waaay quicker than using shift + arrow keys, how long does it take you to switch over man? Also I find double clicking string patters to select really speeds up my workflow, that has to be like 10x faster then using a keyboard! :D :P

you mean SHIFT + CTRL + Arrow key, with just SHIFT + Arrow it is a little slow…

i’ve always prefered using the keyboard than faffing with the mouse :P

4335 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+6 more
Reaper-Media Volunteer moderator says

you mean SHIFT + CTRL + Arrow key, with just SHIFT + Arrow it is a little slow…

i’ve always prefered using the keyboard than faffing with the mouse :P

Oops yeah my bad, didn’t read the CTRL bit :D

• Community Moderator
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
Oops yeah my bad, didn’t read the CTRL bit :D

nooooooooooooooob :P :D

edit: isn’t it past your bedtime? :D lol

303 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Syrian Arab Republic
Laith says

LOL …. i will stand with MSFX … I USE KEYBOARD :P more than mouse

2309 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • United States
theflyingtinman says

I miss mark-sense cards .. in those days you could do all your programming with a pencil .. no clumsy mouse or keyboard ;)

• Community Moderator
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
I miss mark-sense cards .. in those days you could do all your programming with a pencil .. no clumsy mouse or keyboard ;)

Did you actually ever use one, I didn’t think you were old enough to be around way back then :P :D

2309 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
theflyingtinman says
Did you actually ever use one, I didn’t think you were old enough to be around way back then :P :D

I earned my BSc at University of South Africa – Exams on campus but all term work was home study and assignments by written correspondence. You could do programming assignments on your own PC if you had one (I didn’t, until half way through my second year), use a PC at the UNISA computer lab if you lived close to campus (I didn’t) or use mark sense cards :(

The first “serious” programming assignment I had to submit was a COBOL network analysis program that had to be hand-written, then transferred to mark-sense cards which were mailed to the CS department where faculty ran them through the mainframe and mailed back the list of compiler errors generated until, if you were lucky, they would mail back the output of your running application, if you were really lucky it would run, and produce correct output before the assignment was due. The turnaround time for South African mail was such that you had about 5 attempts to debug syntax and logic before the assignment was marked!

And of course there was no Internet available then for looking up tutorials and examples ;)

2309 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
theflyingtinman says

Hey, I was “around” even before mark-sense cards. The first programming I ever did was for the UK Post Office’s first mail sorting computers. You programmed those by soldering one end of a fine, enameled wire to a peg on a huge grid, threading the wire through a number of electromagnetic loops, then soldering the other end to a peg on another grid. Rinse and repeat until you have as many wires as there are post-codes in the UK, each starting and ending on its own unique pair of pegs and threaded though its own unique permutation of electromagnetic coils! Now that was programming close to the metal:)

by
by
by
by
by
by