• Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

It really isnt that complicated. More common sense than anything.

You guys only approve about 30 – 50 items a week on codecanyon. It really shouldnt be hard to spot

235 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
phpdude says

Personally, I would prefer to be in a queue for a few extra days and have the same exposure as everyone else than to just have the item go live as soon as it’s approved. I mean, it’s already been in the review queue for 4-7 days anyway, so what’s another couple of days?

You could add a estimated wait time too on the dashboard too, which would be a simple calculation: (current position in queue * hours between each item launch).

With the live queue, you can approve as many items as you want per week and it just gets added to the buffer style queue, and set up some alerts when the queue exceeds 4-5 days and then someone can override the time between launches, or include that in the algorithm so that it decreases the time (ever so slightly) between each item launch.

It’s great to see this marketplace grow, but it’s about time some improvements and equality is added to the system. There are plenty of experienced developers on here who’d be more than happy to help out.

56 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
JMDDesigns says

It’s not exactly like the authors are delivering multiple items every single day, it’s just the one off batch in that time of the month where the author decides to publish his/her files. Surely it can’t be a huge issue? It’s not putting anyone’s sales at mass jeopardy just because of another authors submissions? People who by default just buy items from here don’t automatically land on the “All Items” page, they land on the latest items feed which has a broad choice of options from there.

Honestly, in my opinion, people buy items if they’re looking for something specific, not just because “oh hey! It’s on the home page, hurry! Buy it!”. Yes, fair enough, it’s always good if your item is shown first in line because it can increase sales to begin with, but you’re not loosing out; categories, tags, and more importantly how you name your item all play a bigger field than just browsing the “All Items” page.

I think this topic has been blown a tad out of proportion, in some ways. Like I said, you’re not going to be jeopardised by even a fraction, just because of the way items are listed in the “All Items” page. How would you equally give fair use to the user uploading all these items? It wouldn’t work; you’d be running in a circle. Just my 2p though :P no hard feelings! :)

235 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
phpdude says

@JMDDesigns Whilst I agree it’s a tad overkill, there is a ridiculously simple solution that will make everyone happy, and mean everyone gets equal exposure.

I can’t comment on how potential buyers browse the site, that’s based on assumptions rather than real analytics, so I think it’s safe to disregard any assumptions people have with how buyers find items they want to buy. The only way to make it fair for all the authors, would be to have staged launches, so that way however the buyer browses the site, every item has a fair and equal exposure at the beginning.

I can tell this topic may keep going on and on, but bottom line is that there is a problem, and there is a simple solution. Some people may see it as a bigger problem than others, but the solution caters for everyone.

That’s my view anyway, don’t forget we’re talking about Envato here, so there’s a very slim chance of any implementation within the next few years anyhow :)

2949 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

so out of the 15 items on a page, what would be a fair number of consecutive items, or gap between items from the same author?

every 2nd item? every 3rd item? every 10th item? what happens if it’s a slow period and only 10 items are approved that week? should the author be forced to wait for others to submit items before theirs are approved?

what happens if there are no other items released in that particular category that week? it will still show one after the other in that category listing (eg: javascript) if no other items are released in that category. or should it boil right down to the category listing? no consecutive submissions allowed in a category?

eg: said author would be waiting a lonnng time if they were not allowed to have consecutive entries in this category: http://codecanyon.net/category/wordpress/e-commerce/wp-e-commerce

I still don’t see the issue, Once in a blue moon you might see multiple items from the same author one after the other.

320 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
jwmcpeak says

For real ? This isnt a dig at authors, in fact quite the contrary. Oh well… Some get it, some dont !

Never said nor implied it was.

by
by
by
by
by
by