951 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Daan says

Indeed, and there are tons of the typical ‘header, introduction, slider’ themes around here.. and these all look similar, so why don’t they accept this theme as a new one?

It’s a complete style revamp that’s happening here, so I think it deserves to be a seperate theme.

Also, DDStudios, not to offend, but I think one of the forum rules/guidelines is not to mention authors (and/or their respective items) in a way that can hurt their reputation.
2952 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says
Also, DDStudios, not to offend, but I think one of the forum rules/guidelines is not to mention authors (and/or their respective items) in a way that can hurt their reputation.

What the heck are you talking about ?

I named Kriesi because his theme is awesome and sell like crazy , how can that even hurt a reputation ? Explain that to me. Maybe you should stop writing , that may hurt yours.

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Hey guys. Our general rule is that, if it’s the exact same theme with just a new CSS skin, then we request that you include it with your original file. It’s possible that we might even be willing to increase the price of your template. The more value provided, the higher the price.

As @DDStudios mentioned, we must enforce this policy; otherwise, every author would submit ten different versions of the exact same template. Nobody wants that.

951 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Daan says

First of all, I said “not to offend” meaning you shouldn’t take it like that (you seem a little upset).
Secondly, I was talking about the part of Epicera’s Atlantica theme, as in some topics, you keep referring to that discussion, which as some know, wasn’t a positive one.

Please don’t be offended by this, but it was just a tip.
Also, I won’t reply on this ‘issue’ anymore so we won’t develop this topic into a long discussion and keep it ontopic.

2952 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says
First of all, I said “not to offend” meaning you shouldn’t take it like that (you seem a little upset).
Secondly, I was talking about the part of Epicera’s Atlantica theme, as in some topics, you keep referring to that discussion, which as some know, wasn’t a positive one. Please don’t be offended by this, but it was just a tip.
Also, I won’t reply on this ‘issue’ anymore so we won’t develop this topic into a long discussion and keep it ontopic.

Oh about Epicera ! lol ok I misunderstood you.

I don’t think the fact that I mentionned him is bad for him , he is a good designer and I respect what he do.

I just wanted to reference it to this topics since it’s the same issue :)

Thanks !

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Hey guys, this new theme for this template didn’t have enough changes to justify a new item. Although both designs are very nice, they are actually nearly identical except for a few image changes and a new color scheme. We did increase the price though as it does have more value with two theme options.

2299 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

this is a complete fail – I uploaded my last item Modern Business 3 (Light) and have been working on a DARK version – just as many authors have done recently – if it is not accepted as a new template then I will not be happy having spent the time I have on it.

There are no official rules so authors can only go off what has already been allowed – this is what I based my DARK version on – in fairness I have altered the CSS , graphics, slider, front page etc – but if it is rejected I do not think all the others that have done the same should be allowed to be kept on the market place.

I guess my reviewer will inform me once I upload – and yes my dark version is also based towards a completely different market with different tags etc than my original.

2529 posts
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

I just told you our official policy. To some extent, this should be common sense. As mentioned previously, it’s simply too risky to allow every author to submit multiple versions of each of their items. Talk about a cluttered marketplace. :)

Occasionally, we will make an exception and allow a second version of a template. However, this decision is entirely up to the review staff.

Think of it this way: why does the author who includes five different color schemes with his template deserve less exposure than you – that is, if we allowed you to submit separate skins? It’s simply not fair to the others.

2529 posts
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

You mentioned that “many” authors have uploaded light and dark versions of their themes. I’m only aware of one or two. Did I miss some? If so, let me know and I’ll look into the situation.

2299 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says
You mentioned that “many” authors have uploaded light and dark versions of their themes. I’m only aware of one or two. Did I miss some? If so, let me know and I’ll look into the situation.

I said many as not to single out anyone – it’s against your forum rules.

This is not a color scheme thing – I am talking about a completely different market for the template – as per the examples at the beginning of this post – different colors is another thing.

On the subject a template uploaded this past week looks VERY similar to my template in structure – even the comments and css classes appear to be mine – so in essence someone else could buy a template, change the graphics and colors and upload as their own and get it accepted. Of course I have zero proof of this because not everything is the same, but it sure seems like someone used my template as a basis for their own. I am not prepared to single out this design, or indeed send in a report as of course it’s impossible to confirm a copy just from the way a css and html are commented out and css style names.

Anyways, like I said this is NOT a color scheme thing – in fact I almost ALWAYS offer several colors with my templates – my dark version I wanted to upload has MANY options for colors – this is the fact that I am unsure how you can realistically police this issue and I would really like a more detailed explanation as you said that just changing graphics / color schemes and css is not enough – but yet that in essence is a completely different template – in fact if it wasn’t then everyones template and indeed website that uses a slider at the top – menu at the top and 2 column underneath would apparently be just a color change. Even using a set of predefined grid css system would mean that they are also identical?

I am not trying to cause trouble, or an argument here, I’m trying to understand how you can say that changing graphics. css and colors is not a new template – if that is the case then we would only have about 6 templates on here and every other would just be a copy with different colors that is not allowed.

Looking forward to your response.

by
by
by
by
by
by