2529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Obviously, changing the CSS could allow for a completely new website. I’m speaking more about the act of switching out the colors and images, and then uploading it as a new template. That’s not fair.

If you feel that a template is infringing upon one of yours, feel free to create a “Support” thread (see sidebar link) and request that it be looked into.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Jonathan, I think you’re making this more complicated than it really is. Themes can use the same layout but need to change the graphics enough to justify a new item.

I’d like to clarify that the layout of a template has nothing to do with the graphical design of a template. The layout is simply the arrangement of elements, like a wireframe.

However, like the template at the beginning of this thread, the general graphics are essentially identical except for new images and colors.

If the template you’ve been working on (the dark version) uses different colors, graphics, etc. but the placement of elements is the same as your previous template then why not give it a new name since it’s a new item all together (except for the root layout) and upload it as a new item?

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Hey @xmdsys – your point is my point exactly – I have been working on the dark version of my light version (don’t understand what the difference in naming convention brings to the table though – all my themes have a naming convention I would like to follow) – but yes, your point of changing graphics etc is another template is my argument – but looking at the example at the beginning of this thread – they are different graphics? Different photos, thumbs, colors, background – in that case it was rejected – but yet that in my head results in a new template?

Maybe I do not quite follow your post, or indeed this entire thread :)

I thought the original author of this thread says he tried to upload his new template with different graphics / colors and images and was rejected because it was the same – yet I see the same layout – but different template surely?

My dark template would be a new upload and new product – but it uses the same structure / layout – just has different logo / slider / images / colors etc – in ref to this thread we are told that this is not a different template – I am very confused.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

I think the issue here is that we have a different definition of a template layout and graphics.

I’m not currently at home but when I get home I’ll put together some examples of what I mean. You’re also welcome to submit a support request and have a reviewer (or email Jeffrey) to see if yours would qualify as a new item.

2952 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says

Sorry Jonathan , I’m not with you on this one.

It’s funny because I’m working on a new theme and I want to provide 2 completely different CSS and images for that item ..

I know it’s risky to show some work here (someone can copy) but I’ll do it anyway because I think it’s a really important point and it seem like nobody can give you the explanation you want.

Here they are , both arent complete ( the down section for the homepage of the woody and fabric one will naturaly be darker :) ) .. I will change a lot more CSS also.

http://www.ddwebstudios.com/tf/ddstudios/

http://www.ddwebstudios.com/tf/ddstudios2/

and I won’t sell them as 2 different theme at all cost.

the fact is , I want to build a reputation of someone who gives a lot of value to his items. (I’m not saying you don’t its just what I want to do)

The first theme took me 2 days to design , 2 days to code .. the second one .. with the wood and stuff .. wich I think is a lot more cool :) .. took me 2 hours to do .. If I can do that in 2 hours , and then add another 2-3-4 hours to it .. and make a completely different theme , with different market etc .. everybody can .. and the place will be a mess and this is the last thing I want to happen and I’m sure you think the same thing.

Another thing is that I am sure that my item will sell twice the number it would do if I only put the first skin and then upload the other one .. and I think it wouldnt be fair to the client who bought the first one to pay for the other one when it took me 2 hours to do , even if its a complete theme.

To conclude , I would say that you should have wait to combine your 2 theme in the same item .. I agree that an update isnt really benificial at this point , because updated file doesnt get any more visibility.

I hope I am clear and that helped you ..

And if someone do a theme that look like the one I just showed here .. I hate you .. :)

2952 posts
+10 more
DDStudios says

Oh and btw , I know another place who sell great Wordpress theme and they always provide 4-5 different style wich sometime are completely different .. and they are not selling them separatly .. maybe this is what make them succeed in what they do ..

2529 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Simply changing the colors and a few images isn’t enough. This is precisely why the creator of this thread’s item was rejected. There wasn’t anything new about it.

Anyhow – we can all discuss this in more detail during our new monthly ThemeForest chat (at tinychat.com). I’ll keep everyone posted on the date. :)

2952 posts
+10 more
DDStudios says

Just one more thing while I think about it.

The main reason why I don’t want to split my item is that I really think Themeforest is a great place.

With the theme I just showed you .. if I change some CSS structure and stuff , it will be allowed to be uploaded as 2 items and that I will get more exposure and more money , but seriously … I don’t want to, because I beleive in higher standard for Themeforest.

There is a lot of theme here , and I don’t judge anybody , that I think doesn’t belong here anymore. I don’t want themeforest to become the place where there is just “nav-slider-content” theme.

And this is why I will try to work really hard to always insert some great variations to my work because I think they are easier to do than re-start another theme from scratch (this is why we do them right ?) and that it add a lot of value to my item , and to Themeforest.

I don’t know if im naive , but I think there will be a lot of change here for authors. We are a big part of themeforest’s success and I think Envato really know what they are doing.

I hope that make sense , writing thing like this is really hard for a french guy haha :)

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

I guess that I am not getting my point across here at all.

2952 posts
+10 more
DDStudios says

Wow how many time I said Themeforest ? :)

btw I just changed the link to my theme im talking about higher , if someone want to see it to know what im talking about , let me now and ill show you

by
by
by
by
by
by