• Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

Hi guys ,

Something bothers me a bit recently ,

I don’t want to point at anybody tought I think everybody will know who I am talking about and I’m sorry about that but I have to talk about it.

There is a theme that was released 5 times in the past month .. that theme sell a lot and it is a really nice theme .. but , I don’t know , something is wrong there.

Everytime I see it , i’m telling myself : Oh there it goes again.

The fact that PHP script take a lot of place now on the new item category on the home page , wich result that our theme are not as visible as they were , add to the problem of releasing 5 time the same theme (I know there is some difference)

What you guys think of that ? Again im not complaining , it’s just seem weird to me. And the fact that it sell a lot everytime there is a new release make me think its a good thing to do .. but if everybody do that .. it will be a mess out here.

Ps Sorry for my bad english

Thanks

4264 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Community Moderator
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Venezuela
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
+9 more
Ivor Reviewer says

You’re right, just with a few modifications… that’s is weird.

76 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
g_gilmore says

I actually submitted a ticket about this a couple days ago.

What makes it hard is that the designs are great, and so is the product (I’ve bought one myself), but the modifications really don’t seem to warrant a completely new file.

I think it’s a broader issue than this one particular user (whose work I really like, please don’t hit me!), and should be looked at as a Themeforest problem, not a user problem.

2952 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

Ok I just looked at the 2 WP version .. they are the same ! only some CSS changes ..

Why is this 2 different theme ? Why isnt it just another skin ? ...

We all know that our sales are a lot higher when we have the visibility of the home page ’’recent item’’ category .. and this look like a good way to get some more free time there …

And im talking about it because everybody see its a good way to sell more copy , so a lot of people will try that tactic , instead of just making an update of their theme that is not in the ’’recent item’’ anymore ..

Why would happen then ? .. there would be a LOT of rotation in the section and people who doesnt make 5 version (PSD , HTML Light , HTML dark , WP Light , WP Dark) will see their item appear 1-2 days and disapear instead of 1 week like it used to be .. With the PHP Script now .. its even worst ..

76 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
g_gilmore says

Ah, and I received a response from the ticket from Jeff:

”...We generally don’t allow for multiple versions of essentially the same theme, however, we decided to make an exception in this case…”

It’s really tough in this case, because they are all very nice. But like I said, there’s a bigger issue here. The quality of the work doesn’t matter, it’s whether or not something like this should be allowed.

250 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
simnor says

I agree totally, I also have to push into the conversation the issue of the PHP files. Taking a look at the homepage, half of the recent items are PHP scripts, this has to be addressed, a lot more effort is put into themes so I really think they should take more prevalence. Maybe TF will address this in the redesign.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

I have to repeat your concerns – not for the product – that is great and I do not want to take anything away from the author – but if we all know what you are talking about I am happy you mentioned it because I thought it was simply my bad eyes / memory.

It does seem a little weird – and as you said with all the scripts it’s becoming rather confusing on the front page.

1475 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

We all know which theme exactly we are talking about here, so let’s not mention any names, but yes, I completely agree.

According to ThemeForest’s rules, a maximum of three variations are allowed of the same item, and the variations must be different enough to be sold as different files, else they should be included with the original version.

Don’t get me wrong, the theme we are talking about is a great theme, and will net a ton of sales, but I still don’t believe it should have over 5 variations.

ThemeForest needs to enforce its rules a bit more strictly because things are slowly but steadily getting out of hand. Once again, I do realize ThemeForest is an absolutely great community to be a part of and the staff is doing the best they can.

Good thread, DDStudios. Glad you posted about this.

Edit: I also agree with Simon. A lot more work goes into themes, and everyone knows that the front page generates more than 50% of a themes sales, yet scripts and themes are mixed together. Themes used to be up on the front page for 3-5 days, now they’re lucky to get 2.

2952 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

Thanks guys , glad to see that wasnt just in my head :)

Again I reapeat , the theme is awesome and the author is really good .. This is not a personnal issue.

372 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Sweden
mrjasmin says

I must say that I agree with you regarding this issue.

by
by
by
by
by
by