687 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
Blinn says

I have a friend who recently bought some items from Graphicriver and he loves the website. The only problem is that there is no multi-use license, even with the Extended option. He wants to use the items he bought for multiple projects, but doesn’t want to have to come back and pay the license over and over again when he already has the files he wanted.

One way to solve this issue would be to introduce a multi-use license option, both regular and exclusive which grants the buyer a license to use an item multiple times after making a single purchase, with proper price balancing put into place.

What are your thoughts on this? How viable is a multi-use license, offered as an option in both Regular and Extended versions?

342 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
StencilMedia says

+1

...but only for things like light leaks, colour presets, text presets, certain elements etc etc.

If it’s for a standard project then the price difference could lean very heavily in favour of the buyer rather than the author. I mean, how much would it be? Five, ten, twenty times the normal price? If it’s one of those companies that just do logo template renders and they’re doing 100 a year of one template… the author is losing out, considerably.

And if it was twenty times the normal price, then somebody who just needs to use it five or ten times is not going to buy it. It would be really hard to get the right balance of price in my opinion.

Maybe it could work, I don’t know.

687 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+2 more
Blinn says

+1

...but only for things like light leaks, colour presets, text presets, certain elements etc etc.

If it’s for a standard project then the price difference could lean very heavily in favour of the buyer rather than the author. I mean, how much would it be? Five, ten, twenty times the normal price? If it’s one of those companies that just do logo template renders and they’re doing 100 a year of one template… the author is losing out, considerably.

And if it was twenty times the normal price, then somebody who just needs to use it five or ten times is not going to buy it. It would be really hard to get the right balance of price in my opinion.

Maybe it could work, I don’t know.

That’s the key issue here. Pricing the multi-use licenses so that the buyer doesn’t feel like he’s paying too much while also making sure that the authors don’t feel like they’re losing out.

And having something like “3 licenses for 3x price” probably wouldn’t work out since few people would take it seriously enough to pay anything past 1 license.

However, I did bring up the possibility of an “Unlimited use” license in the past, but it was forgotten. An Unlimited use license simply is an extended license that grants the buyer an unlimited number of uses for a particular item. The price would be considerably more, but the buyer wouldn’t have to come back over and over again to buy the same item, and the author would make more Extended license sales.

It’s my estimation that most buyers never come back to buy the same item just to get another license once the first runs out, but feel free to correct me on this.

by
by
by
by
by
by