Just an idea I’m toying with and would like to hear some thoughts..
Over the past year or so I’ve accumulated lots of links to music libraries, publishers, and so on and I just kept it all in an spreadsheet on my computer. I’m putting this list online and making it public and searchable but would like to categorize it in a way that makes sense to both people searching for music to license and to the authors.
So far I came up with the following categories:
- Royalty-free music libraries
- Individual composers
- Music publishers
- Music supervisors
- Free music (that’s for creative commons, public domain links)
- Helpful resources (anything else from pros to legal, to composer guilds, and so on)
Does this make any sense? Would you find a directory like this helpful (at least just to read comments) or you’d rather just google stuff?
Yeah that would be great. Always good to know what the market is looking like. Nothing like market research! If you uploaded this I think tons of people would be really grateful.
- Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
- Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
- Has been a member for 2-3 years
- Attended a Community Meetup
- Author was Featured
- Contributed a Blog Post
- Exclusive Author
- Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
- Bought between 10 and 49 items
Sounds intriguing to me. Do it!
My first thought is I would find it helpful.
DO IT ! That would be amazing!
But what do you think about the categories? For instance, if you’re a video producer looking for a place to license music, would you find these categories easy to understand?
Yes they are easy to understand ! Goodluck and succes !
I think it’s a fantastic idea, and you’ll get a lot of hits. A couple other resources I can think of from the artists perspective (that may either be out of scope or already assumed under your categories):
- Sample contracts for artists to use for freelance work
- Maybe also a guide for how much to charge for certain types of freelance
- A guide or tips on reporting music-generated income for various countries (I’ve got taxes on the mind)
Not sure what the rules would be on linking the site from AJ if there are other RF libraries listed…?
Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear you guys liked the idea.
Good points. There is a section for articles, so this information can easily go there.
If anyone wants to write an article covering some of the topics above, I will gladly publish giving you credit and linking to your site or portfolio.
Actually the site is live already. I’m not linking here since it indirectly competes with AJ (I guess) and I don’t want this topic locked Also the directory looks a bit bare now, as I’m still filling in the data. Unfortunately, I have to do it manually. I’m verifying all my old links and adding some initial comments and I only can do few entries a day given other commitments.
If anyone is interested in more information feel free to get in touch directly.