3732 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

I posted a link to one of my tracks on Alexander Brandon’s facebook page and he replied saying he liked the track. That was pretty awesome since he’s my favourite electronic musician (he composed music for games like Unreal, Deus Ex and many others). Has anyone else managed to get their music heard by one of their heroes?

308 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dpremium says

I had that feeling too , but it wasn’t for my productions. Actually there were some comments from MAJAI for my monthly set on soundcloud :)

1134 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Switzerland
+8 more
SonicCube says

It’s allways worth more than 100’000$ if one of your heroes comments your music. I had ( fairly long time ago ) Trent Reznor ordering a copy of our very first self produced and promoted ambient album by email. Unfortunately he didn’t do that for the following albums ;) BUT im still very proud and stored this email in one of the swiss high security digital storage providers inside the biggest mountains here ( just kidding ) :)

341 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
joshhunsaker says

I posted a link to one of my tracks on Alexander Brandon’s facebook page and he replied saying he liked the track. That was pretty awesome since he’s my favourite electronic musician (he composed music for games like Unreal, Deus Ex and many others). Has anyone else managed to get their music heard by one of their heroes?

Wow! Seriously? That’s pretty awesome. I’d be stoked if I could get an A-list game composer to comment on my music. :)

3732 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says
Wow! Seriously? That’s pretty awesome. I’d be stoked if I could get an A-list game composer to comment on my music. :)

Yeah, I just posted on his facebook page. I always wanted to do a track that lived up to the original Unreal soundtrack, and now I think I’ve managed it, and it has the Alexander Brandon seal of approval!

1183 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

OK, this is somewhat unfair as I went to the USC Film Scoring program – http://www.smptv.net/index.php

Because of this I…

- met and was taught byChristopher Young, and he reviewed multiple pieces of music. He was our instructor for 20 weeks. A total privilege, the man is a genius.

- met and was taught by Bruce Broughton. This man has forgotten more about orchestration than most of us will ever know. We had classes with him for 15 weeks. He still writes all his music with pencil and paper. A total privilege, the man is a genius.

- met Tom Newman, and he reviewed my music. We had 2×3 hour sessions with him. 1st session = talk / discussion, 2nd session = after giving us an assignment, he reviewed it.

- met Harry Gregson-Williams, and he reviewed my music. We had 2×3 hour sessions with him. 1st session = talk / discussion, 2nd session = after giving us an assignment, he reviewed it.

- met John Powell, and he reviewed my music. We had 2×3 hour sessions with him. 1st session = talk / discussion, 2nd session = after giving us an assignment, he reviewed it.

- met Danny Elfman, though he did not review our music. Met him at the Sony scoring stage here in LA.

- met Dennis Sands, the engineer for Mark Isham and Danny Elfman (to name a few, check his IMDB credit list, it’s insane).

I also worked at John Powell’s studio while he was working on How To Train Your Dragon.

Now ultimately, none of this was REALLY of any benefit to me with my career, but at the time it was certainly inspirational, and I learnt an incredible amount from these people.

I chose to ‘go my own way’ as a composer (many go and work for A-list composers, a perfectly valid option), and I’m lucky that things have sort of panned out since I left USC .

Also, since leaving USC (i.e. meetings I actually made the effort to do myself!) I’ve also had the pleasure of meeting the Bioshock composer Garry Schymann, and uber-talented cellist Tina Guo (cellist for Hans Zimmer) who I will be working with on an upcoming ‘unannounced project’.

8-)

So yeah…. the above is one of the reasons I came to Los Angeles in the first place. I haven’t looked back since.

291 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
rtofvnt says

OK, this is somewhat unfair as I went to the USC Film Scoring program – http://www.smptv.net/index.php

Gareth,

good for you. Somehow all that influence of film scoring we can recognize in your best selling track. You see … I never went to any school. Most of my stuff isn’t at least in half good as well selling tracks on AJ, however – I do sell some of this stuff with only 55 positions.

And I stuck – inspiration – HELP !!!

1183 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

I only referenced the course because I doubt I would have met any of these other people otherwise. You absolutely don’t need to go to school to be able to write music.

Danny Elfman and Hans Zimmer most notably never studied it, they learned by doing and a lot of trial and error, and a LOT of collaboration. They produce music of the highest quality.

As long as you keep writing, and trying new things, you keep getting better. Perhaps most importantly, if you are open to collaboration, you can really reap massive benefits.

Education can help you, but there is no substitute for writing more music. Keep writing, even when you’re uninspired, if you do it every day, you naturally will get better.

291 posts
+3 more
rtofvnt says

... if you are open to collaboration, you can really reap massive benefits …

... so when you coming back ?

:-)

201 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+1 more
simonleng says

Gareth,

good for you. Somehow all that influence of film scoring we can recognize in your best selling track. You see … I never went to any school. Most of my stuff isn’t at least in half good as well selling tracks on AJ, however – I do sell some of this stuff with only 55 positions.

And I stuck – inspiration – HELP !!!

hey dont knock yourself your music is really cool

by
by
by
by
by
by