21 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
policromatico says

Surfing the web, looking screencasts, reading blogs.. EVERY DESIGNER has a Mac! Do you think it’s a basic step to become at all a real designer? Which are the advantages for you?

698 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
segen says

No. I’m a PC :)

208 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
AdrianMG says

Advantages from a MAC ?

Stability, Security, TextMate and Photoshop.

Oh, and I hate Windows’s defragment.

1045 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
iDraw says

I’m a PC too.. first I wanted a new iMac, but now I saw the new VAIO JS :D

the new windows 7even is coming too not?

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Use whatever you’re comfortable with. Don’t let anyone determine what you use.

128 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
GeertDD says
Which are the advantages for you?

Photoshop crashes far less than when I was on a PC. That’s probably one of the main advantages for me. That said, I don’t believe you have to have a mac to become a designer. You have to have the talent first, then pick the tools.

34 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
janokeselak says

I’ve been on mac for almost two years now, and I can say that since I switched, I’ve never looked back :)

Stability and security, main reasons for me. Oh yeah, and they are sooo sexi! :P

2022 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says
Surfing the web, looking screencasts, reading blogs.. EVERY DESIGNER has a Mac! Do you think it’s a basic step to become at all a real designer? Which are the advantages for you?

Amazing designers use both mac and pc. Design has nothing to do with the platform, every thing to do with skill, knowledge and available tools. As Jeffrey said, don’t let anyone else decide for you.

With that being said. I run with a Mac. I used MS-DOS, then Windows from 3.1 -> Windows 7. When I started my first design job I had to use a Mac. I hated it at first (I was a total PC lover) but I adapted within about a week and I will never go back to Windows. It has nothing to do with hardware and everything to do with the Operating system itself. Currently I feel that OSX (Apple) beats any Windows OS hands down.

1. It’s more creative by heritage
  2. better stability
  3. enhanced workflow and usability
  4. you can run windows on a mac but not the other way around
  5. they are more expensive but higher quality hardware and software
  6. you’ll find that a lot of really high end professionals for graphic design, video production, etc. use Mac Pros with the stunning cinema displays

Also, Mac has Coda which I really love! :-D

Oh, and I hate Windows’s defragment.

Contrary to popular belief, OSX does fragment files. OSX only “optimizes” files 20MB and below (http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_fs.html). If you deal with large files, then you might want to defragment every 2-3 months. I just defragmented my drives the other day without having defragmented after 1 year 4 months of owning my mac. I saw minimal performance increase. This is still wayyyy better than windows though! :-)

the new windows 7even is coming too not?

Windows 7 is Vista fixed. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. It’s supposed to be pretty much the same as Vista only much, much more stable and higher performing. It will have some cool new features though.

My experience with Macs has been exceptional. I have not had a single problem with my iMac since the day I bought it (1 yr, 4 mo ago). The operating system has not crashed once (that’s not to say it hasn’t frozen from something I did or strange software bugs like anything else). It technically runs faster than the day I bought it but about 5 months ago I swapped the stock hard drive for a Western Digital VelociRaptor 10K RPM hard drive which absolutely screams. But just having the stock hard drive, it never really slowed down much like windows can start doing after a long time. I used to install a fresh XP image every 6-8 months to keep optimal performance. I also run windows XP, Vista and testing Windows 7 all from within OSX (with Parallels).

Anyway, as you can tell, I’m a huge Mac fan now. Almost all of my family has switched and will never go back. All of that family has also stopped calling me for tech support almost entirely yet I still hear from the Windows using family members, lol.

68 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
rblalock says

Designers don’t….but web developers do! :-)

Apart from the “designers” question…as a developer…mac has a lot of built in features that make it easy to build websites.

Alsp, As some of the people mentioned, Coda, Textmate, CSSedit, Bootcamp, VMware, etc. make it worthwhile.

Mac’s don’t feel as cluttered to me, which is important in a work environment.

I had an Alienware laptop with Vista on it, and I liked it a lot…..but Mac are just so much more fun to work on.

my two cents.

2541 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CreatingDrew says
Use whatever you’re comfortable with. Don’t let anyone determine what you use.
Amen! Use what you like and let other people do the same.
by
by
by
by
by
by