2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
dezzo says

I’ve been purchasing html templates here for years and recently I build a site with the Super Skeleton template and the customer is happy except that they want to be able to add and edit content so, asked if I could do it in WordPress.

So, I get wordPress and watch tutorials till my eyes are bugging out. Then I try my first WP construction using “Swagger” a WP theme from the Designer’s Pack. And, I upload it to my WP installation using the upload zip in the admin. Ok, so far so good.

Then I go to start work on it and unless I am missing something, it’s like I have to build it myself. I was expecting to see a completed WordPress site which I just had to edit but instead I’m having to figure out how to make a contact page and why do I have to rebuild a slider and how do I get this widget and what plug ins do I need… c’mon man!

Is this it? Do I have to virtually rebuild every WP template I purchase? Say it isn’t so!

1799 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BroOf says

Sorry to say but this is the “normal” way. The live preview you see is mostly created in the same way. Some authors offer a 1-click-demo-install which means you can import pre-made pages and edit them.

491 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says

If the theme doesn’t provide a one-click demo install option then you can install a plugin called “content importer” but you will still need an XML content file to import. You can ask the theme author to provide this, but keep in mind that they don’t have to. In fact many authors don’t provide this file because it would contain assets which the author doesn’t have a licence to redistribute. Even if you get this file and successfully install the content, you will likely still need to place widgets in the pages and insert menues etc because as far as I’m aware these elements are not saved in the XML content file.

DOK

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
dezzo says

Aha! I see. WordPress is a great new uncovering for me. The more I learn about it the more I like it. Thanks for the info.

by
by
by
by
by
by