2 posts
Kyle77 says

Hi all, I have only been doing website development for a few months now and a week ago i started building my first template. The template is a portfolio for a photograph, i used free hosting to put it live for the time being, so people can see it.

http://test469876.comuf.com/index.html

I would appreciate some feedback on the theme and how i can improve it.

Thank you, Kyle

1 post
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Romania
bogdan_dinga says

Hi Kyle,

First off, I am not o web developer for a living. My primary job is not related to web* but I made a passion for web development for some years now. I will try to give you some tips on how to start out.

1. Learn WordPress and try to make the themes based on WordPress. It will make your live easier down the road. You will dip your fingers into some php and you have a ton of resources on almost everything you can thing about.

1.1 underscores.me is a good starting point for a bare bone WP theme on which you can start building. You can find others if you prefer.

2. Get WAMP/XAMPP – host your project on local machine and get rid of hosting/ftp hassle in time of development.

3. Learn a CSS front-end framework. It will help you in faster prototyping and give you much more flexibility. A good starting point is bootstrap. Again, there are a ton of alternatives, 360.gs gumby, etc.

4. Get Scout App and start doing the design in SASS and Compass. Scout App will save you a lot of time and eliminate the need of working via command line. It is very easy to use.

5. A little bit of jQuery just to have an idea on how it works, etc. Then you will find a lot of useful plugins, line lazy image loader, parallax; things that enhance the user experience.

This was just a summary of what is on top of my head after taking a look at what you did for now. Keep it going and you will get better and better.

308 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
Jthemes says

First of all, get a good design

2 posts
Kyle77 says

Hi Kyle,

First off, I am not o web developer for a living. My primary job is not related to web* but I made a passion for web development for some years now. I will try to give you some tips on how to start out.

1. Learn WordPress and try to make the themes based on WordPress. It will make your live easier down the road. You will dip your fingers into some php and you have a ton of resources on almost everything you can thing about.

1.1 underscores.me is a good starting point for a bare bone WP theme on which you can start building. You can find others if you prefer.

2. Get WAMP/XAMPP – host your project on local machine and get rid of hosting/ftp hassle in time of development.

3. Learn a CSS front-end framework. It will help you in faster prototyping and give you much more flexibility. A good starting point is bootstrap. Again, there are a ton of alternatives, 360.gs gumby, etc.

4. Get Scout App and start doing the design in SASS and Compass. Scout App will save you a lot of time and eliminate the need of working via command line. It is very easy to use.

5. A little bit of jQuery just to have an idea on how it works, etc. Then you will find a lot of useful plugins, line lazy image loader, parallax; things that enhance the user experience.

This was just a summary of what is on top of my head after taking a look at what you did for now. Keep it going and you will get better and better.

Thank you for the advice, i will check out the things you have suggested.

1148 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
fillerspace says

First of all, get a good design

+1

The design looks more like a wireframe than an actual design.

430 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Chile
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
NCDesigner says

@Kyle77

Please fix your better design website.

1. change font of logo better. you can download font and link your item and file ‘help.txt’ or pdf, etc.

2. add texture see better your design, if you don’t want don’t add then white background :)

3. add images or wireframes

4. change color blue off gray hover link menu top

5. add search

6. works menu url open website for example “blog”, etc.

7. add 5 images slider animations.

I hope help you :=) Regards.

308 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
Jthemes says

If you are not a designer thn look for a good designer and work as a team so you handle coding part and other will handle design part.

by
by
by
by
by
by