My item has "too much" compatibility after 4 years, and Envato won't define it accurately anymore

613 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

After nearly 4 years (46 months) on ThemeForest, my item Acumen has been updated with compatibility for every single stable Magento release. That’s 15 core releases for those counting. Envato won’t allow selecting more than 14.

Envato compatibility cut off

I’ve hit this artificial limit on compatibility and because Envato says my item has “too much” compatibility, I’m forced to de-select old values in the “Software Version” attribute just to indicate the latest versions.

While there are probably very few customers shopping for themes compatible with 4 year old versions of Magento, longevity and updates are a major selling point. Buyers appreciate knowing a theme will not be abandoned.

It’s mind-boggling that Envato chose to prevent an author from noting literally years of hard work. Rather than designing the marketplaces to appropriately display attributes that may contain a large number of values, authors just get the shaft for being dedicated to building long-lasting products.

Mike

Tell me about it Mike. It wasn’t supposed to end this way.

112 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Vlajki says

Drama, drama.
Just contact Support and I’m sure they’ll handle it for you :)

276 posts Envato Market Support
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+7 more
MhW Envato team says

Hey GravityDept!

It’s mind-boggling that Envato chose to prevent an author from noting literally years of hard work. Rather than designing the marketplaces to appropriately display attributes that may contain a large number of values, authors just get the shaft for being dedicated to building long-lasting products.

I’m very sorry that you feel that way, it’s definitely not our intention to give you or any author the shaft. :(

There could be a legitimate reason for the limit, so I’ve opened a ticket with our Dev Team to see what exactly we can do for you.

If you’ve already opened a Support Ticket just let me know the ID and I can wrap that up for you.

Sit tight :grin:

- Christian

+3 more
GravityDept says

Thanks Christian, please update this thread when you hear back. I don’t have a ticket open.

I should clarify that I don’t think Envato intentionally chose to shaft authors in this instance, but the design decision that was made effectively does this. That’s why it’s upsetting to encounter because the edge cases were either not considered or deliberately create a negative situation.

@ Vlajki — Say “drama” all you want. Years of experience has proven if these issues aren’t aired in the open forums, they won’t be addressed. I think it’s always better to raise issues publicly so others can comment and express an opinion.

+7 more
MhW Envato team says

Thanks Christian, please update this thread when you hear back. I don’t have a ticket open.

Good news! I’ve heard back from our Dev Team and it sounds like this should be a fairly simple fix. I honestly don’t know an ETA as to when this’ll happen, but suffice to say it’s coming. :grin:

- Christian

+3 more
GravityDept says

Thanks Christian, when the Dev Team has implemented it can you reply here so I know when those fields can be selected on my item? I’ve subscribed to this thread.

+7 more
MhW Envato team says

I’ll let you know the minute I’ve found out :)

by
by
by
by
by
by