76 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
axool says

Hi,

I have made my first Wordpress theme, it was a great experience since I learnt a lot of things. However 10 minutes after submitting it to ThemeForest, it was directly rejected… It’s a little disappointing to see that after several weeks of efforts but… It was my first theme, so I think that I have still some things to learn before submitting it another time, so I don’t take it in the bad way haha.

So, what do you think about my theme : http://work.axelhardy.com/wordpress/ ? What would you improve if it was yours ?

I wanted something simple because I don’t really like the big themes with a lot of features which don’t focus on just one niche… Even if they look really good in most of the case !

The email was :
The overall quality of your submission does not meet our aesthetic and technical requirements and will need to be improved before being resubmitted. Unfortunately we’re not able to provide more specific feedback for your submission at this time.

And in your opinion, is it a good idea to submit the HTML version of a theme before submiting the Wordpress one ? Because I also have the HTML version (I did it before working on the Wordpress one) and it’s maybe a good idea to “see” if the HTML version is accepted before working on the “big work” of the Wordpress version ?

Thanks for your ideas & advices! Axel

18 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Pakistan
naeemnur says

Maybe there are similar themes in the market place that’s why they rejected it? And submitting the HTML version first will save your time and energy.

And for improving the design, i wouldn’t use bootstrap for such a simple design, too many HTTP requests.

153 posts
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+1 more
ThemeToast says

It took me longer than it should have to find the main menu, the ‘menu’ text is a little hidden up there (I may also be a little slow today :) ), the menu bar with ‘green, forest etc…’ was a little confusing/distracting because I was expecting the main menu.

Shortcode buttons and icons don’t match the style of the shortcode boxes and skillbars. The theme looks a bit default? Wordpress default.

The shadows and styling of the slide-out menu don’t go with the rest of the site.

You should check out some of the other themes a little more? I’m sure you have already, goodluck though

3857 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
+1 more
charlie4282 says

Logo and nav in image does not work put it above

Image ovelray typogrpahy is not great

Within posts sidebar looks a bit cramped and needs better spacing/alignment

76 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
axool says

Thank you very much for your answers. I think that both of you are right about my theme. The menus are maybe a little confusing and the blog page is maybe a little too simple.

the menu bar with ‘green, forest etc…’ was a little confusing/distracting because I was expecting the main menu.
I didn’t really think about it but that’s really true. I have to think again about the menus on my theme. I thought that to have a sliding menu and a “normal” menu was a good idea, but it’s maybe a little conufusing.

Since it’s my first WP Theme, I finally think to not put it on ThemeForest. Instead of this, I think about submitting it to the Wordpress Theme Directory as a free Wordpress Theme after I will have improved it a little so I will be able to receive some users reviews in order to improve my web designer skills.

Thanks again!

194 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
GraphiTivity says

I would try to change the slider fonts and add 2 or 3 col.. or Isotope it…

by
by
by
by
by
by