13 posts
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
studioself says

A quick note on a feature that MUST be incorporated in Microlancer. An option to post jobs and the ability to accept bids on these jobs. It is the developers we are looking to hire who know if they posses the required skills for our jobs. As our jobs may surgical, it should not be that we must contract freelancers based on a broad subject line qualification such as “wordpress customization” and hope for a match – or shotgun-messages a number of them with our proposal in an effort to do the same. Honestly, I think Microlancer has effectively put the horse before the buggy.

The possibly ground-breaking potential that I do see with Microlancer is that it could be used by those who utilize Envato marketplaces. From the perspective of a TF buyer: Imagine having the ability to have the developers of the theme you just purchased be contracted to do custom work outside of scope of “support” – via Microlancer. Who better to hire than the very developers of the theme? This would also be perfect for theme sellers. Buyers could see that the which developers are willing to do custom work and make a decision to buy or not based upon that. The potential for Microlancer could be realized by tying it into the Envato Marketplace as a whole. I see potential and will add to this thread as the ideas come to me.

5278 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

I agree with your point that Microlancer is not currently a good fit for customization work. But what I don’t understand is why a third-party is so important? For example, you mentioned “Who better to hire than the very developers of the theme?”. Can’t you just contact the author of the theme directly and ask for customization work? Why make it more complicated?

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

I agree with your point that Microlancer is not currently a good fit for customization work. But what I don’t understand is why a third-party is so important? For example, you mentioned “Who better to hire than the very developers of the theme?”. Can’t you just contact the author of the theme directly and ask for customization work? Why make it more complicated?

+1 – no point us going thru a 3rd party or our prices would just have to increase to cover the charge from the 3rd party.

Our buyers simply contact us via our support forum / email contact on profile page and our various websites for customization work to our themes and it works great for them – otherwise they would buy a product at themeforest then have to go and search Microlancer for us hoping we are there, then request.. meh messy.

Just contact your theme author and ask for a price and even if they don’t do customization work, they normally have a solid contact list of fellow developers that they pass work to and know will do a great job.

Jonathan

EDIT: I’m sure someone will come here and say the benefit of using a 3rd party service is that they are there to make sure you get what you pay for and only pay for what you get, but in reality if you are a professional author / buyer (client) then you will make sure you both have a signed agreement in place to cover everything and agree to the work schedule and price upfront – it covers both parties. Of course if it’s a simple customization that’s a small amount of money then you shouldn’t really need the above.

5278 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

Just contact your theme author and ask for a price and even if they don’t do customization work, they normally have a solid contact list of fellow developers that they pass work to and know will do a great job.

Exactly why going through the author is the best choice. As authors, we want buyers to have successful experiences with out products, and so if we had to pass you along to someone else to perform the work, we’re only going to recommend people we know and trust.

I’m sure someone will come here and say the benefit of using a 3rd party service is that they are there to make sure you get what you pay for and only pay for what you get

My opinion on this is that most authors wouldn’t dare risk their reputation on a customization job. And I think most buyers know this, as I’ve never had a single one ask me for a contract.

841 posts Envato Studio Communications Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+3 more
Jordan_M Staff says

Good discussion here! I have subscribed to the thread. ;)

5544 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

... This would also be perfect for theme sellers. Buyers could see that the which developers are willing to do custom work and make a decision to buy or not based upon that.

This is cruel. Marketplace Buyer’s decisions supposed to be based on features and efficiency of themes / items. Not based on customization availability. Hope staffs can understand where this lacks its value. According to our pricing, we are selling products that doesn’t require service.

Envato having a freelance service doesn’t mean it can affect buyer’s decision on marketplaces. It should be marketplace’s responsibility to make sure the buying decisions not interfered by Envato’s different services.

PS: Note that the main suggestion is not coming from a marketplace author ;)

The potential for Microlancer could be realized by tying it into the Envato Marketplace as a whole. I see potential and will add to this thread as the ideas come to me.

As long as nothing is advertised on item page and listings, everything is fine. On the other hand, if an author interested in doing customization through Microlancer, he/she can already add a link to his/her Microlancer service on the item description and profile page. Not sure how this can be further enhanced without causing damage to sales here.

770 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Amrhamza says

I agree it needs 1 bids for posted jobs 2 ability to add-on price on open projects 3 a lower commission rate 4 Live chat with customer within open projects 5 ability for author to give customer a water marked mockup of customer’s project for a low price 5$ before ordering.

by
by
by
by
by
by