• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+1 more
mad_dog says
Hi guys! Just got new theme rejected, standard reason. Any reasonable feedback, also submitted a support ticket. http://demo.themedev.me/site_templates/iqinterios/
491 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
pixelentity says

Hi mad_dog,

That’s pretty decent, well done. We have all been there (rejection), but don’t fret. I’ll mention a couple of things which come to mind when I visited your link. These are only my reactions to certain things and may not be even close to a reviewer’s opinion on your design.

1. General Typography. – For me, the letter spacing of your titles are too close, while the line height for your body text also seems a little small. I usually work with a 12px/20px font to line-height ratio. In a few spots, like the date of the news article, the font is very difficult to read and almost looks jumbled, perhaps adjust letter spacing or use a font which is not so narrow here.

2. Menu – Your design is a 1 page template and therefore I personally wouldn’t use a current or selected item highlight on the main nav menu. The reason for this is because after clicking on a menu item and scrolling to the section, the user can scroll to another section and still see a confusing highlight on the main menu for a section which they are not currently viewing. So I would use the highlight for hover state only. Or use javascript to make the highlight change as the user scrolls to different sections.

3. Template type – This might just be me, but it was not apparent for quite a while that this template was a one page template. I scrolled until I met what appeared to be a big white space inserted in error. I guess it appeared this way because the sections weren’t broken very well. For example, main sections and sub-sections don’t have any difference in their heading typography and hence hierarchy / page breaks are not so apparent. Because of this it looked to me that the homepage content stopped, had a large white space, and then continued again after the white space, when in fact it was the about section content which started below the whitespace.

So to fix this I would suggest that you label each section, using the titles from the main nav menu, and make them look more important than sub headings. Also perhaps you could break the background (to reveal the patterned bg) between sections, hence strengthening their separation.

4. Simplicity – This point is probably a bit more about my own design tastes but I thought I would mention it anyway. The template seems to be aiming for a simple / minimal look/ design. But then each section (about, services, collections…) is very bitty. What I mean by this is its full of small areas of text with headings. Sidebars swapping sides, lists here and there. The overall feeling this gives of one of busyness and consequently no section really stands out as memorable or much different than the other. (except the collection one). So if you were going for the clean simple look, I would recommend to simplify the breakdown of content, give each section a unique feeling. Most clients / buyers, who would be in the market for this kind of template, don’t have lots of different text to fill 7-8 separate parts in the services section for example. I think once you have simplified the content, then you will find it easier to control and dish out white space, which is a big part of a minimal theme.

5. Alignment – Last one, I promise. You are the designer, you are trying to get buyers (and the reviewer) to be pleased by the look and feel of your template. Therefore you need to control what they see and make it pleasing. This is easy for you to do because your content is dummy content and doesn’t need to make much sense. For example in your footer, each of the 3 columns is a different length and has a different horizontal rhythm. You should aim to control all of the content as much as is possible, at least for your preview, so that things align with each other, have similar rhythms and control the user’s eye. These are the kind of details which can make a huge difference in first impressions of a template.

Sorry this went on so long. I hope you take all of this with a pinch of salt. The template is nearly there. These are mostly small things, and are linked with my own tastes on things, so if they make no sense to you or you disagree with any of then, then ignore. Perhaps you might find some of the info here useful, if so great.

Best of luck with it. Take your time and it will likely pay off. Donagh.

154 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
MNKY says

Some great advices above, will add two cents here.

You may want to consider some styling for telephone number and maybe bit bigger icons in header area.

IMO first background choice could be better.

And you can use some nice dividers between sections and narrow that space, if you do not to break content bakcground.

Cheers

252 posts Mad Dog
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
mad_dog says

2 Donagh, I’m always trying to learn and your opinion is very valuable for me, taking into consideration the fact that I’m new on TF. I will try to make those changes and let you know when it is done. Thanks a lot.

252 posts Mad Dog
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
mad_dog says
MNKY said
Some great advices above, will add two cents here.

You may want to consider some styling for telephone number and maybe bit bigger icons in header area.

IMO first background choice could be better.

And you can use some nice dividers between sections and narrow that space, if you do not to break content bakcground.

Cheers

You are right about the background and dividers, did not think about it :(

100 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United States
StevenGliebe says

I’m no authority as I am dealing with my first submission which was rejected as well, but I’ll confirm what another said by saying that the background and heading font threw me off at first glance. Otherwise, the design is comfortable to me.

by
by
by
by
by
by