• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • India
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
rahulbist says

Hi everyone,

I need an advice because I am confused with a client.

A client hired me to create his website on a freelance site.

I created his site, asked him for money. he said that his credit card is expired and he will pay me after 1 week.

I was sending mails for 2 weeks to him but got no reply.

Now, he replied and said that he is going to sell the website and will give me 30% commission.

his step-father expired and funeral cost was so huge and he doesn’t have any money to pay me.

what’s wrong with this guy?

I already coded the flash files such that they will be expired and will not work after few days from now.

but, anyone know why he is behaving like this. he is from Europe or US. does funeral cost is so huge there?

I am sorry, I am an asian and I don’t know about all this.

please advice.

thanks in advance.

3747 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

Always (always, always, always) ask for 50% in advance for any kind of project, even if is your mother who hires you. :)

Far from joking, it doesn’t mather how much his funeral (if it’s true) cost, not paying you for that is like running outside a restaurant after dinner for the same reason. Try to give him facilities, like small payments during x weeks. In my opinion, is better that you don’t tell him about the expiration. He can use it against you, like “ok, i’ve no website, you have no money).

5203 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says
pezflash said
Always (always, always, always) ask for 50% in advance for any kind of project, even if is your mother who hires you. :)

A truer statement was never uttered when it comes to freelancing. Always get some of your money upfront and don’t fall for the “I’ll pay you later” scam.

The bad news is that you probably won’t see a penny of your money. The good news is that you probably won’t make the same mistake again. We’ve all done it and we’ve all learned the hard way :)

806 posts We're a nice team!
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+4 more
ThemeFocus says

So I think we must got 50% fee for start work, then don’t send the client all source files before got 100% fee.You also can upload the project to your host for the client view the progress. Just my idea. Have no money payment,don’t start your work. :)

2163 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
Nitro_Themes says

rahulbist

Do not give him anything, just be cold hearted man, it’s not your business about the funeral, you were asked to do a job and you did it but the dude don’t want to pay but i smell BS here as you explained. I think the guy is just lying and he probably thinks that you will give him your work for free cus of the death so you feel bad for him. But screw him. It’s not worth fighting over it he probably did not have the money to begin with. And if the death is true, it still does not change the business agreement between you and him.

Sorry man, next time before you start ask for 50% of the full price in advance. I was screwed a few times and i will not do anything until i see some cabbage(money).

Cheers

Lester

by
by
by
by
by
by