12 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
premithemes says

Hi guys,

I’m totally newbie on this forest :nerdy: I’m trying to sell my own theme. But I got rejection from the reviewer :crying: . I’m not so sure whether it’s soft rejection or hard rejection, but the message given to me was like this:

We’re sorry, your item Spectral Magento Theme has not been approved for sale on ThemeForest. This is the reason given by our item inspector: Unfortunately your submission doesn’t meet our current minimum technical quality requirements for the category it was submitted to. Please consider taking some time to familiarize yourself with our current library and quality levels of popular items before resubmitting

Just reading at that message, I can’t get any idea of what’s wrong with my theme. What is exactly the “current minimum technical quality requirements” of Magento theme? So maybe you guys could help me out to review my theme. What wrong and what’s need to be improved.

here’s the link to my demo theme: http://www.premithemes.com/demo/spectral

regards :)

3426 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

What the reviewing is trying to say is that the design is not as good as some designs that are on here.

For example .. the colored stripes backgrounds kills the theme instantly!

12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
premithemes says

What the reviewing is trying to say is that the design is not as good as some designs that are on here. For example .. the colored stripes backgrounds kills the theme instantly!

Thanks a lot ruben for your feedback… but just to make sure, is this image

Which I use as the default background texture, that you think kills the theme?

I would be very glad if you could also give advice to me on better background scheme for this theme :)

45 posts
rktic says

Hm, let me see.

Imho there are a number of details which negatively effect the overall theme. I.e. the search box feels lost and found up there, it lacks some vertical alignment according to the logo & tagline.

Eventhough the slider images are just “dummy” ones they have the biggest overall impact on the upper area. Make sure to work with some representative ones!

There is no consistency in the use of vertical margins (feasible above and below the slider).

The overall line-height in your typography needs refinement. It’s way too narrow atm.

The jumping prices in the featured products are not appealing. Imho the prices (as being the most important part next to the product name) should also be bigger?

Gotta say, something about your colorscheme and background mixture reminds me about Amiga-Copperbars – maybe the Star Trek alike font supports that a bit.

639 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Haiti
Crakken says

What the reviewing is trying to say is that the design is not as good as some designs that are on here. For example .. the colored stripes backgrounds kills the theme instantly!

Thanks a lot ruben for your feedback… but just to make sure, is this image

Which I use as the default background texture, that you think kills the theme?

I would be very glad if you could also give advice to me on better background scheme for this theme :)

I think he’s talking about these:

639 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Haiti
Crakken says
131 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Portugal
edumicro says

Short and truth answer: It sucks. Rainbows? C’mon. :)

Kind answer, you need to work harder, first develop those design skills more, then after you get good at what you do, think about taking profits.

An engineer doesn’t start making money when he/she is on the college, it takes them years to get some degree of knowledge to finally get some cash/work. Design is obviously a different discipline, but it’s a serious business, and one that needs careful attention and deep dedication.

12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
premithemes says

@Crakken & @edumicro: hoho… kinda surprised many of you don’t like that rainbow lines. Coz I think it looks fine… anyway, maybe it means I have to increase my design taste :p

Actually that rainbow could easily be customized via admin module into any other gradient variation. What do you think guys? should I just change the default gradient for the demo site into any other gradient scheme (any advice for great gradient scheme?) or should I just totally rework my whole theme?

@edumicro: thanks for the short and truth answer :D really, I like hard critics, make me thinks a lot. can you please elaborate more about the suckiness of my theme?

@rktic: whoaaa…. you’re the best rktic, thanks a lot for all the feedback. I admit there are still a lot of details on my theme that need to be fixed. I’ll work it all out.

1712 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

The rainbows may work for a kindergarden website, but I doubt you’ll find anyone interested here.

The footer text is ugly, the bottom text “Built by heart with bleeding edge technology ” is not readable. The colors are not very well chosen, the arrows on the new products carousel don’t have enough spacing. The ones in featured products may be used in a 2000’ website. The slider as well, may have worked in 2005.

Obviously you’ll need quite some work in order to improve it.

12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
premithemes says

Thanks FinalDestiny, about the “featured products may be used in a 2000” things, is it the featured product scroller on the frontpage you’re referring to? and the slider, is it the main banner slider (based on nivoslider) on the frontpage? any advice how can I improve those slider and scroller? :)

by
by
by
by
by
by