• Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Mexico
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
agodesa says

Hello everyone. I’m very noobie on web coding, and I can’t find a GOOD tutorial to learn all this. I’ve already searched on the new Marketplace, and I bought some tutorials, but they didn’t help me too much. I need a screencast tutorial (I understand it better), I need the tutorial to be using Dreamweaver.

I don’t mind if the tutorial costs.

Cheers. And Thanks :D

Sorry for my English :S

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Motionreactor says

It’s a long and varied path I’m afraid. I’d suggest starting by learning HTML + CSS at:

www.w3schools.com

This is where most web designers learn and revisit for reference.

The IDE / text editor you use is fairly irrelevant. Dreamweaver is honestly no better or worse than a plain text editor for writing HTML + CSS .

webdesign.tutsplus.com

For some full site build tutorials, and for more technical and server side stuff:

net.tutsplus.com

Unfortunately I don’t really think there is such a thing as an ‘all in one’ tutorial / place to learn the trade. Web design is a vast field, for example I have over 10 years experience in the realm and I’m constantly learning new things and re-inventing myself, so the resources to learn are scattered widely.

www.alistapart.com

Is where you’ll want to head when you grasp the basics and start to begin seeing the need to fully develop your professional approach.

Hope that helps.

427 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Mexico
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
agodesa says

It’s a long and varied path I’m afraid. I’d suggest starting by learning HTML + CSS at:

www.w3schools.com

This is where most web designers learn and revisit for reference.

The IDE / text editor you use is fairly irrelevant. Dreamweaver is honestly no better or worse than a plain text editor for writing HTML + CSS .

webdesign.tutsplus.com

For some full site build tutorials, and for more technical and server side stuff:

net.tutsplus.com

Unfortunately I don’t really think there is such a thing as an ‘all in one’ tutorial / place to learn the trade. Web design is a vast field, for example I have over 10 years experience in the realm and I’m constantly learning new things and re-inventing myself, so the resources to learn are scattered widely.

www.alistapart.com

Is where you’ll want to head when you grasp the basics and start to begin seeing the need to fully develop your professional approach.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it :)

So, I will start with the very first and if I have more questions I’ll post on this forum.

My question is: What free and good text editor (to start writing html & css) do you recommend?

9 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
charliediprima says

Notepad++, lightweight and easy to use, you just need something that is going to color the code for you. This helps loads in allowing for easy viewing and debugging.

I also like having a dark theme, you can change the color theme of notepad++, just search google how to it is really easy but I forget right now.

And I learned by doing html/css on w3c, then reading some PSD to HTML /CSS guides, then playing around with things myself. I would suggest webdesigntuts and nettuts both have great tutorials, honestly the highest quality on the web right now. There should be some screencasts on nettuts about how to code a sliced psd, this is what you want. I learn best from screencasts as well.

Good luck.

5075 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

We used Editplus for all our code. We use SmartFTP ( albeit times out after 1800 secs )

As stated w3schools is a good resource. Also stackOverflow , for asking questions and getting lightening fast answers.

Sometimes the easiest way to learn is by trial and error.

If I was starting over again, as a “noob” I think you would be hard pressed to not use Dreamweaver. Most coders own a copy, even if they dont use it nowadays, but its an excellent means of learning some of the basic ropes.

Learning css is tricky for a noob too, so forums like SitePoint and sites like Alistapart are invaluable.

For jQuery Drew Wilson, David Walsh, Codey Lindley etc are all good eggs.

Fonts , well dafont is cool.

Anyhoo, for design purposes , we use aDobe Photoshop, CS3

Pretty much everything else, can be handled if you have a live hosting acct to test stuff on the fly.

Also get your hands on some free basic layouts, and learn positioning, divs, tables and tags.

Its all uphill from there ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by