6 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Uruguay
yeaaaone says

Hi, we made this template and has been rejected 5 times without any critique.. i dont know what the template is missing in order to get approved, so if you can help me on this one and give me some hints how the template would look better, i really appreciate it!

here it is the link to the template: http://fotodeco.comuf.com

Thanks a lot!

Yeaaaone!

1960 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
mafloral says

Hey

Honestly there is not much to it, look at some of the templates that are selling on TF and se the functionality and graphical elements that are incorporated into some of these templates.

Cheers

Lester

6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Uruguay
yeaaaone says

Mafloral, thanks for replying.

It would be great if you can provide some feedback, even the smaller on will work, I have been trying to improve the template but I don’t want to go astray and keep getting rejected each time I take a shoot with TF :)

Thanks you in advance.! Yeaaaone

1960 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Canada
mafloral says

OK sorry for the previous post.

It was a different template that was there before.

Anyhow, i dig the concept, the things that you have to look out for are:

HOMEPAGE —> Menu and menu bg, move the menu to the top of the page. Copyright bg make it thinner in height. Copyright info – move it over to the right at least 10pxs.

The menu is cool but when you switch pages i would make the menu background slide to the left and fade out as the buttons do. Also i would add deep-linking to the template since it’s a single page template. There are some slogans that appear on mouse over, i would not use this instead i would have an info caption button that would show the image info. Which you could either turn on or off.

You can add some tooltips on hovering over the social icons.

I would move the camera icon down to the left it’s in an odd spot now. on the opposite side you could add the image caption button to display some info about the image.

ABOUT PAGE —>

I would definitely make it full width and get rid of the messy layout. maybe use an image slider here instead of just an image or an image with a hover effect. Also instead of using the native scroller try to style one and adds some cool graphic elements to the page also use easing. Make a separate page for your team info or use a small carousel for the image and the info.

PORTFOLIO —>

I would have the portfolio categories to display horizontally.

The Featured page is ok but very basic with just images, here you can also use some sliders hover effects and so on.

The Pictures Page look at the spacing between the thumbs, Top spacing and spacing to the sides of the thumbs should be equal.

The Mixed Gallery you should do the same as the Pictures Gallery but here you can also embed some videos as the thumbs so there is some different content that you are able to display.

Blog Page—>

Left column: Try to add the Posted By:Acropolis – Date:October 10, 2011 – Comments:5

in-line instead of being all in a bunch. You could either move them to right of the post title or under the length of the image. Use some hover effects over the image.

Right Column:

OK the whole right column has to be separated from the left with more spacing and maybe use a different colored bg or something to brake it up so it does not look all washed up together. Try to use the same size fonts and types for both sides now the right column fonts are over powering the left. The single page blog is a bit better but i would get rid of the images in between the textual info. Just kills it. Also the post title i would move to the top insted of being under the image.

Under the comments add a contact form so people will be able to comment and it makes the page a bit more functional.

CONTACT PAGE —>

OK the contact page is a bit of a mess sorry not trying to be a pain but i would do maybe 2 column but not 3 for the location info also make the map the same width and height as the location info so they kinda balance out. Use a divider between the top and bottom content so it’s somewhat separated. I would re think the contact form because it’s just all over the place maybe resize the input fields to mach in length or do something that will make them balance out. The contact button is a bit too big maybe mak it more transparent use different fonts until you get it to jive with the rest of the template..

STYLE /TYPO PAGE —>

Try to leave a bit more space between your columns including height and width so they do not look all washed together maybe use some cool div lines or something to better separate the content.

Ok so this is just my thoughts but i hope it helps, and i do like your idea too.

So Cheers

Lester

1960 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Canada
mafloral says

wow that was a long one.

Anyhow i forgot to mention the main content background, i think it’s too much maybe have a less noticeable pattern or just a solid color with some transparencies.

Cheers

Lester

6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Uruguay
yeaaaone says

Wow Lester!

Thanks a lot on the reply, now we have a lot of things to take in mind to changing the template! Once again thanks a lot for your critique, it was very helpfull.

Cheers!

Yeaaaone.

1960 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Canada
mafloral says

No problem.

Cheers

Lester

1644 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
dnp_theme says

Looks fine from photography point of view. Maybe the photos would need to be more clean.

I think your theme is missing the typography work.

Web looks better with images, but dead without text and typography. At the first sight I though it’s a gallery plugin or something.

Focus on headings. Create more color contrast not only size contrast. Also size matters.

Spacing matters most, but there is something reviewers always point out: using same spacing everywhere is not helping. Break it with vertical, horizontal lines, dotted, or what exactly fits the best. Make sure you understand macro spacing and micro spacing.

Content is king: break text blocks into 3-4 lines paragraphs, get a good spacing into place.

I don’t want you to think I’m one of the best yet, but I suggest you can have a look at my works, you can get an idea on the above hints.

Good luck.

6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Uruguay
yeaaaone says

First of all, thanks again to mafloral and dnp_theme for the critiques,

we made some changes based on the usefull advices, and here is the second version. Check it out and if you can comment on how it looks now, we aprecciate it. If you can open the template on Chrome or Mozilla better, cause IE has some bugs that were gonna resolve later when we have the final template.

http://fotodeco.net16.net/

Thanks!! Yeaaaone.

1960 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Canada
mafloral says

Hey

I get a website review message. Not showing the template.

Cheers

Lester

by
by
by
by
by
by