• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Philippines
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+1 more
dexterous says

Hello all,

I have a client who is having a complex requirement of reading from serial port RS232 and pass the real time data to the front end which will be developed in flash/flex. As of now it is not clear whether it will be embedded inside html or not.

The final display is on a touch screen console.

I know that it is not straight forward and I am also aware the MDM Zinc has the capability to read from serial port and display onto flash, but my client will not be willing to buy such an expensive tool just for this functionality.

Does anybody has any idea what is the best way to achieve it? Does AIR support this? Or otherwise which kind of middleware program must be written to achieve this functionality ?

Any help or pointers will be highly appreciated.

Cheers!

370 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • New Zealand
Polarathene says

I’ve not worked with something like that. I guess you could load the data in through another language and have it talk to flash via a socket server and byte arrays? AIR 2 .0 allows touchscreen interaction.

So if you have never done such a thing before, I guess wait for more replies and google for ways to read the data from the serial port.

675 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Philippines
+1 more
dexterous says

Thanks for reply. Touchscreen is not a problem here because it is a single touch (Windows installed) device and buttons inside of flash are working on it. The data which is coming from port is about something else, actually it is some kind off pulse data in KW/h.

I will wait for more replies. I am also searching online…

4 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
Potku says

This page may be of some assistance. The page is intended for use between a micro-controller (specifically, an Arduino) and Flash via a serial connection. You won’t need the micro-controller part of this, but there is a useful section on Serial-to-Network Proxy Servers or Serial to Socket Servers and then Flash Socket Libraries you can use to interpret the data.

I hope you can use this to at least point you in the right direction.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! :)

675 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Philippines
+1 more
dexterous says
This page may be of some assistance. The page is intended for use between a micro-controller (specifically, an Arduino) and Flash via a serial connection. You won’t need the micro-controller part of this, but there is a useful section on Serial-to-Network Proxy Servers or Serial to Socket Servers and then Flash Socket Libraries you can use to interpret the data.

I hope you can use this to at least point you in the right direction.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! :)

Thanks a lot for the link Potku.

As for update, I did inform the client that this is not something straight forward and will need a lot of R & D work.

Though it sure is a very interesting work but the client is having a very tight budget – (in fact about a 150 $ for everything which includes representing the data on the flash front end and also with animated ticker for recent updates). So for now (since the client deals in embedded software mostly) I have asked them to find a person who can make something which could read from the Serial Port and supply to flash. If there is any further development on this, I will surely post here for the community.

Cheers.

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
Motionreactor says

This can be done with quite a few different languages. It certainly isn’t straight forward, and definitely not a $150 job! Python is a fairly lightweight language to develop a basic socket server and read the serial port. Java has some quite nice standard libraries for this too.

by
by
by
by
by
by