225 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
h3design says

Hello everyone, I need some help with InDesign.
I´m working with the program the first time, and I need to scale an Image to the size of a rectangle.
In photoshop I would just place the image on top of the rectangle and make a clipping mask create a clipping mask, but I can´t really figure out how to do it in inDesign.

I tried it with that frame or border tool and drew a rectangle , then placed the photo.
This worked but I need a fast method to leave the frame unchanged and just replace the image….
any tips ? :/

339 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
kevinhamil says

Not sure I’m fully comprehending what you’re doing… But you can right click on the rectangle and there’s an option for Fitting.. You can choose Fit Proportionally to get the image in perspective if its too large. Then you can select the tool that looks like a white arrow pointer.. I think it’s the second tool on the tools panel. Us that to scale the image within the containing rectangle.

TIP: click and hold one of the anchor points (with the white pointer tool) for a second before actually transforming in order to see a preview of the entire clipping image.

Then if you duplicate that containing rectangle multiple times, you can select the Links panel (found in Window menu) and select each individual item on the Links panel and there’s an icon at the bottom of that panel to “relink image”.. That will let you select a different image. It will import and place the new image according to the same proportions/scale of the image you’re replacing… So it’s great if all images are the same dimensions for ease of replacing.

225 posts
+4 more
h3design says

damn this stupid programm confuses me so much :(
If I save an Image inside photoshop and drag it into my InD document, its all messy :( It doesnt create a new layer, and btw, the image has very pixelated edges (doesnt´t inD spport transparent PNGs ?!)
like here:

And btw, i found the link tab. I´m confused again… are all elements i place in my document just links ? Do they disappear if I delete or move the file in my explorer ?!

This program seems to be a torture for people who have only been working with photoshop before… :D I´m messing around since more than 2 hours just to place some stupid graphics…

951 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
Giallo says

damn this stupid programm confuses me so much :(
If I save an Image inside photoshop and drag it into my InD document, its all messy :( It doesnt create a new layer, and btw, the image has very pixelated edges (doesnt´t inD spport transparent PNGs ?!)

Probably, all you need to do is choose the High Quality Display Performance setting from the View menu to solve this ;) Indesign is somehow useful to make books because you can handle many pages’ typography

225 posts
+4 more
h3design says

ah yes, i solved the issue with the pixelated thing… I need to do it with inDesign because I´m creating the a-level-newspaper for my grade and it will have about 300 pages :/ I´ll try to find a tutorial on youtube which explains that frame/clipping mask thing

339 posts
+3 more
kevinhamil says

It doesnt create a new layer
You create a new layer if you want one.. For your own organization. For instance if you wanted all your text on one layer.. Think of the layer like a bin or container. In that, you may want to store similar objects.. However you see fit. Remember it’s designed for print layout, not so much design.

and btw, the image has very pixelated edges (doesnt´t inD spport transparent PNGs ?!)
I’ve never tried PNG’s but I guess not lol.. PNG’s are more for web use. You’re best off to save as a PSD if you need transparency.

And btw, i found the link tab. I´m confused again… are all elements i place in my document just links ? Do they disappear if I delete or move the file in my explorer ?!
Yes, any imported images are simply referenced. This is so you have the freedom to update your referenced images and it will update in your file. You don’t have to re-import etc… And yes they will cause a problem if the referenced image is moved in your file explorer.

When you finish, there’s an option under File menu.. Think it’s called Preflight Package.. This will collect (duplicate) all your assets to one consolidated folder so you don’t have to worry about that.

It seems difficult, but its just because you’re expecting it to be similar to photoshop.. And in some ways it is, but its designed for print layout which is a different job than designing :P You can always look up how to stuff on adobe.tv or YouTube.

Hope this helps.

339 posts
+3 more
kevinhamil says

Probably, all you need to do is choose the High Quality Display Performance setting from the View menu to solve this ;)

+1 very true. You can also find this in right click menu if you want to adjust the display performance for an individual image.

225 posts
+4 more
h3design says

ok thanks for your help giallo and kevinhamil.
Is my idea right to do it like this:
1) Create the document and arrange everything til its ready
2) Fill in the image and the text
3) Save the indesign document
4) Replace texts and image
5) Save it as a second document (until i have about 200 documents for every student´s page)
6) Create an InDesign Book and import all the documents
7) Save as PDF to send it to the printing office

Another question I have:
Is it possible to create an effect like this on a text in InDesign?:

(Text should still be editable cause I need to adjust it for 200 students)

339 posts
+3 more
kevinhamil says

Is my idea right to do it like this:
5) Save it as a second document (until i have about 200 documents for every student´s page)

For the most part yes.. But if you have to type 200 names.. There’s a way to use a CSV file to auto import and place each name, instead of having to do it manually. But that may just complicate things for you since you’re new to InDesign. But you can look up Data Merge if you’re interested in doing that.

225 posts
+4 more
h3design says

thanks, I will check this out ! :)
But is it right that I have 200+ documents for a 200+ page print object ? (book/magazine..)

And what about the text effect I posted above ?

by
by
by
by
by
by