339 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
kevinhamil says

thanks, I will check this out ! :)
But is it right that I have 200+ documents for a 200+ page print object ? (book/magazine..)

And what about the text effect I posted above ?

Yeah, if its suppose to be for a printed book/magazine you may want to research the Data Merge option, cause it will auto create the pages for you when you output the data. And also it’s common for print to be laid out in spreads… This option is found in your document setup… So maybe find out from your printer their preference.. Again, it’s hard to direct you specifically without full understanding of the context of your project.

The text style can be done in InDesign. Simple enough.. Stroke and drop shadow. I believe with the text selected you can just right-click and choose Effects. Just apply it to the text before you do the data merge so that it applies it to all your text at once.

224 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
h3design says
Okay thank you. I will explain in a few words what it is about:
Like I said it´s our “A-level-newspaper” (“Abizeitung” in german). This is a magazine/book that the grade which is having its last year at the school usually creates as a memory.
These are the contents of our book:
  • a foreword
  • about 20 pages of advertisent / sponsors
  • about 200 pages for the students (simliar to a CV/resume)
    this page includes an Image, Name, comments by other students, comments by the teachers of the student´s advanced course and a half-page text written by a good friend.
    Some texts are too long and will therefore need a second page
  • about 20 pages about different advanced courses (with photo and text)
  • 5-10 pages with outtakes/funny sayings of stundents/teachers over the past years
  • few more pages with photos etc.

How´d you create & send it to the printing office ?
    I already created the layouts for the different kinds of pages inside photoshop and wanted to transfere it to inDesign to fill in the contents there.
339 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
kevinhamil says

How´d you create & send it to the printing office? I already created the layouts for the different kinds of pages inside photoshop and wanted to transfere it to inDesign to fill in the contents there.

If you talk to a printing company and ask them to explain the best way to get them the file, they should be able to help you with all your questions regarding output.. but having said that, predominately you can just export to a PDF that includes bleeds and typically that is good enough and simple.

If you’re going to do most of the page background and titling in PS, that’s fine.. You just place those into InDesign the same way you would any other image. You could put those on a specific bottom level layer and lock it so you don’t mess with that while you’re working with all the overlaying elements (text/comments/etc).

The bottom line is you can do it either way.. You can do the page layout in either PS or ID… Your choice. The benefit of doing it in ID is that you can edit your layout right there. If in PS, then you’re using two programs to work your layout and have to go back and forth more. Just not a very streamlined workflow.

224 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
h3design says

thanks again, you really help me :)
I got instructions from the printing office like PDF, CMYK , 3mm Bleed lines etc.
I was just wondering if it´s the right way to create about 300 documents cause this sounded pretty chaotic first. But I guess thats what the book-funktion of inDesign is created for: to combine these documents and save them in a single PDF.

I´ll probably fill in the contents for every page individually, cause I need to scale down the different images individually, anyway, so that it fits perfectly. This will take like 20 hours I suppose but I´m on the safe side then ;)

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
candicestorm says

Hi there!! I seem to have a big problem with my indesign document. I am going to give my best shot in explaining this. Viewing my pages in indesign in normal mode, everything appears normal. However when I switch to preview mode several pages disappears. The content can be seen, but the actual pages cannot.

When export to PDF, these pages are missing and when the pages are reached, a message box with the following message “An error exists on this page.Acrobat may not display the page correctly. Please contact the person who created the document to resolve the problem” pops up.

this is an image of what my window looks like this http://www.candicestorm.info/Videos/Capture.JPG

and the popup box http://www.candicestorm.info/Videos/Capture2.JPG

Please. please help!!! I am flabbergasted and stunned, I really need this done urgently.

by
by
by
by
by
by