286 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
rtofvnt says

Hi every one! I’m not in here very often, so if subject was allready on forum – kick me out. Gently.

There is a thing – I’ve noticed that every time website template is present as WP theme sales go skyhigh, so I’m thinkin about my next project to go that way.

How do you do it ? Are you provide content for pages for customers ? Something like – create new page and put that content (subpage) or is it “hard coded” in to template ?

Regards – Matt.

349 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
al_m473 says

the TF free file of the month for October is a WP theme, download it, and you will see what you get when you buy a WP theme. however, I don’t think all authors provide the content backup file though. I know the WP theme as part of the birthday bundle did not.

Al

349 posts
al_m473 says

further to this, I just downloaded the free wp theme available in October 2010 and find no relationship to what you will see in live Preview for the WP theme. this, after downloading the contacnt package as well. the images are not included, etc, pages are not there, and I don’t know what else.

as a newbie myself, I find it hard to replicate the live preview image that you think you are buying, but just not so, I guess. Have not taken the chance and bought any wp themes yet.

if I buy one, I want to replaucate what I see in the live preview and then modify it from there, we will see though.

so, in buying a wp theme, don’t expect to get what you see in the live preview, it won’t be the same.

Al

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

so, in buying a wp theme, don’t expect to get what you see in the live preview, it won’t be the same.

Al

Not entirely true – all my WP themes come with an XML and full documentation on how to get everything to look just like my previews – different authors do different things – I understand how buyers may want to have the theme once purchased and uploaded to look JUST the same as the preview – but in all honesty it’s really not required as good concise and detailed instructions should get you to the point you need to be to be able to add your own content – after all these are “themes” not full sites – and because of copyright laws if an author uses images in the live preview he does not own it’s technically illegal to re-distribute. Hence the reason why some come without content – if you need to know prior to purchasing either drop a comment on the item discussion for the author to ask or contact them via their profile page.

Hope that helps.

349 posts
al_m473 says

good explanation for the difference in looks

Al

p.s. probably not a valid expectation on my part to see what I see in the live preview, thanks jonathan01, just getting into this WP end of the spectrum myself

by
by
by
by
by
by