137 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Graphitizer says

Hello! I am from a small south asian country called NEPAL . Now lets come to the point, i am good(i guess!) at web designing and want to persue freelancing as a career. But have some questions in my mind that are confusing me so i thought asking to the TF community would be a good idea to gain some knowledge and get some help. 1) I need some suggestions about from where to start? What are the requirements that i need to have? How much capital(money) at first i need to start my freelancing business? Etc 2) Our country is an underdeveloping and one of the poor country. Percapita income here is very low and the internet cost is very high. So shall i charge my clients as the rate of our country (which is very low as low as $3 per day) or charge hourly as any other freelancers in the world as per my work quality? 3) Do i need to follow any legal procedures?

I recently read alot of articles on the web and still could not find a place to start. About charging less i think it will share a negative impact to the clients, as they might think i am charge just because i am desperate about getting jobs and deals.

Please help me out! Any help will be appreciated. And thanks in advance :)

960 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

$3 a day? Seriously?

If that’s the case don’t even bother spending any money on setting up, just spend your time creating some themes for Themeforest and you could earn about $4 just for ONE sale of a $10 template.

It sounds like a no brainer to me – you could potentially make a very good living just selling templates, and you don’t even have the hassle of going out and finding clients :-)

Good luck.

13 posts
syedQuadri says

My suggestion is first make a good profile with all details which you have an experience and some good sample work.

And try to search client where they need gigs works initially you need to start some small gigs then you can target better works.

Regarding $3/day. I suggest you need to charge based on your quality output.

Yeah you can sell themeforest template too but it is another option where you can earn money. but you are the designer where you to build your experience in designing field not is sell, am I right?

Anyhow best of luck to start your career.

Cheers, Syed.

630 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
RobbyDesigns says

$3 a day? Surely a mistake, mind you – that is about what you need to bid to win sthg on those crappy freelancer sites like G.A.F.

240 posts
  • Located in Canada
rarepearldesign says
$3 a day? Surely a mistake, mind you – that is about what you need to bid to win sthg on those crappy freelancer sites like G.A.F.

Yeah, I didn’t even know how to respond to someone who could consider $3/day. I’m not worldly although I am not ignorant and have a sense of other countries and economies…but $3/day blows my mind.

Bottom line, you can charge whatever you can sell your services for. It’s a matter of constant adjustment.

There’s a saying “something is only worth what someones else is willing to pay for it”, same thing applies. Realistically everybody on this planet other than hardened criminals is worth more than $3/day just for being alive.

676 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+11 more
cudazi Envato team says

http://freelanceswitch.com/resources-directory/ should be able to help as well…

962 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
EireStudio says

Try not to be ignorant guys. The pay is relative to the country. I work with a few excellent writers from India and they charge above what the standard rate of pay is over there and it’s still an excellent rate for me.

@AvianshGurung, Charge what you are worth. Get your work online and start marketing yourself, good luck.

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Following up from @cudazi’s comment – make sure you hit this up:

http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/

But don’t look locally (your country) look globally as that is where your clients will come from – pick a middle ground that is not too high or too low based on your experience and level of quality as others have said.

Remember clients will ALWAYS try and lower your rate so find a comfortable figure then add 30% for those that want a discount – just like selling anything in this world, you expect to have to lower the price to get the sale at times.

And remember that your hourly rate has to cover all your expenses / taxes / discounts and the effort and time it takes just to get paid :)

137 posts
Graphitizer says

Thanks for such wonderful suggestions! And i will soon set up a portfolio, hope to get some clients soon :)

About $3/per day, the average per capita income is around $300 per year. OMG

Again i have a question, in freelanceswitch i came to know we need to subscribe paying $7/month. I was wondering if i pay for my subscription, would i be able to get clients so that i can again afford for continuing my subscription? What are the chances?

Avinash,

3085 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
Raincutter says

Though I’m not from themeforest (well studying right now and templates are really time consuming for me regarding my PC’s health.. nvm) I would suggest you looking more into web articles regarding pricing and other freelancing field’s knowledge. Once you get to understand the standard rates and practices, you may start out with your portfolio looking ready and awesome, with a little low rates than the standard and once you get hold in it, you can increase your pricing slowly. ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by