1772 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Some developers are developers and implement shortcodes and page templates themselves and not copy-pasters to use plugins and just implement them in a normal html template and then expecting to get 1000 sales.

full HTML theme != wordpress theme

3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

There are many many more things to care about when developing a serious theme that respects WordPress functions and standards (to grant compatibility and less bugs)... like in this thread, I often read people describing the development in a too easy looking way.

A fast test I usually make on themes is to happend to the home url

?post_type=post or ?post_type=portfolio (in case of custom post type ‘portfolio’) to see what happens…

The first should return the main blog, the second the custom post type archive with the same layout of the “portfolio” pages…

Well, you’d be amazed how many times this test fails :) Toooooooooooo many… and this isn’t a good thing!

It’s ok we’re developing premium custom themes, but this doesn’t mean we shouldn’t make compatible work.

266 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Vasterad says

100% fair deal you say? If he’s reffering to his theme, I’m afraid it’s quite too generic for me, it’s not responsive, it doesn’t have shortcodes, page templates so it’s all the developer’s job. As far as I can see on your profile, you’re a designer and not a developer, so obviously you want 50%, which is OBVIOUSLY not a fair price. The developer must offer support, must keep his code updated, must fix the bugs, you don’t care at all about any of this stuff.

50/50 is fair even without coded HTML version.

3256 posts
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

Some developers are developers and implement shortcodes and page templates themselves and not copy-pasters to use plugins and just implement them in a normal html template and then expecting to get 1000 sales. full HTML theme != wordpress theme

Agree and many times “premium features” come first than WP standards… just because the competition between authors. Having generators and 1000 options doesn’t help when a theme is missing the most basic and important things.

Some authors are lucky because the most of buyers don’t have tech skills and so they look at the features list only :)

266 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Vasterad says

Some developers are developers and implement shortcodes and page templates themselves and not copy-pasters to use plugins and just implement them in a normal html template and then expecting to get 1000 sales. full HTML theme != wordpress theme

Agree and many times “premium features” come first than WP standards… just because the competition between authors. Having generators and 1000 options doesn’t help when a theme is missing the most basic and important things.

Some authors are lucky because the most of buyers don’t have tech skills and so they look at the features list only :)

But they’re getting money and their clients are happy. :D

3256 posts
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

But they’re getting money and their clients are happy. :D

Sure… that’s true :)

639 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
Crakken says

hi all i need wordpress coder with 50-50 of sale. if any one interested then reply me or contact me via my profile.

Plugin or Theme?

54 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Slovenia
psvent says

It doesn’t make sense to dissect who is going to do what. It’s a business and in the end both partners will have to work hard to achieve a common goal. 50:50 is a fair partnership.

Only a fraction of required tasks were mentioned here, marketing for example, is a very important ongoing task to, and it falls more under the “creative” partner’s domain, if we are dividing work…

In the end it’s a matter of organization so that both partners do more or less “equal amount” of work.

1002 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+7 more
purethemes says

What is the problem with his Enoupps template? It if fully ready HTML template. WP dev job:

1) create wp templates using HTML template (1 day);

2) create shortcodes and generator (HTML elements ready, get any ready generator code and let’s go :) (0.5 day)

3) create options panel with ready solution like Options Panel Framework (1 day)

4) the hardest thing – custom widgets and widget areas, their flexibility (2 days)

5) other small things and features, testing, demo version, docs (4 days)

Totally about 8-10 days of honest work for a good (not great) developer. Do you think designing, coding HTML template get less time, efforts and professionalism?

Damn, I must be really bad developer if it takes me 2 months to finish theme :(

124 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Belarus
+1 more
Themico says

You forgot the most time consuming thing: support ;)

I can say only about themes under 300 sales (i have some other themes except one in my account with other authors) – it not get a lot of time for support. Usually not more than 1-2 requests per week and most of them are simple questions.

by
by
by
by
by
by