• Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

All the companies in this niche have both good designers and coders, but just think of why the coders are paid better than the designers…

And not just in one country, but world-wide.

And here I include basic programming knowledge(basic PHP , WP / Joomla / Drupal knowledge / etc). One elite programmer earns WAY more than a designer. Just sayin’

What about an elite designer? :)

1864 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

For those who say 50-50 is fair… Why the salaries for a top web developer differs from a salary for a top web designer? They should make the same money from your point of view, right?

I think the skill of a designer and programmer should be on the same level otherwise one of them will drag down the other one in terms of sales. Plus it’s not about $ per hour, that should be same for both if both are on the same hypothetical skill level (just for the sake of this argument). It’s more about the fact that developers usually work more hours than designers on a WP theme.

For example here at freshface, speaking hourly, developer work is 80% of the WP project and 20% is designing in Photoshop. So 50/50 would not be fair for us, but it could easily be fair for a high-skill designer and low-skill developer when creating very easy themes.

Nobody can generalize this into a 50/50 dogma, that’s ignorant ;)

124 posts
  • Belarus
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Themico says

How it can become 50%-50% if designer do only design, and the coder need to:

1) make a HTML template (HTML, CSS , jQuery, responsive layout) – this is a lot of work and require a lot of experience; 2) make a WP theme (so much to do that i even will not list); 3) write documentation; 4) make support and updates.

Are you serious? Then find someone who will agree on that! Sometimes designers are really overestimate themselves. Especially because i see that only some of them try to be creative and do something with their own hands, not only use icons, photos and other graphics made by others.

3069 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

Anyway, one must not simply ask for 50%. On this templates I don’t think the work share is that simple. I think a designer and a developer must work together and at the end they will know better how much anyone deserves. A template does not work only with adding decorations on a structure, it’s a complex system that needs thinking time, design adaptation and re-adaptation and support time after the it goes online. Probably the best time to see who deserves what is after one month of sales.

1715 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

I think the percentages should be decided depending on the theme and how complex it is. For an e-commerce theme, 50-50 is simply the worst deal the dev can do.

For a theme that can generate LOTS of sales, if it looks extremely good, then yeah, that could work.

But I’ve seen lots of users asking for 50-50 just because they saw on the forums that rate and they said this is the standard rate on themeforest (LOL).

101 posts Live Long and Prosper
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
DryThemes says

Ok, so 10% for designer and 90% for developer + beer and chicks :)

70 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
TitanicThemes says

People are selfish and everyone tends to overestimate the skills they have. If you had some top selling html templates the things would be the other way around and they will fight over your 50% offer. To many disputes an to less strait to the point answers for the man.

Keep your chin up mate and stick to 50%-50%. Maybe try to learn some wordpress, with baby steps, but you will see its all worth it in the end.

4505 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

I think 50/50 is the only way to go. And here’s why: A great design, won’t sell well with out a good developer putting it together. A well developed theme, won’t sell well without a great design. The one can’t survive without the other. Yes design may not take as long as development, but a good designer, has a talent, and talent is few and far between – that’s what he is being paid for. It’s hard to compare design and development, with what they are worth, they are two different worlds.. like comparing left and right brain thinking. Rational and irrational.. finite and abstract. Design is like an emotion, where development is like rational thought, but both are needed together to create one congruent experience.

2045 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

I think 50/50 is the only way to go. And here’s why: A great design, won’t sell well with out a good developer putting it together. A well developed theme, won’t sell well without a great design. The one can’t survive without the other. Yes design may not take as long as development, but a good designer, has a talent, and talent is few and far between – that’s what he is being paid for.

I have to agree here – designing is a really complicated process. Design decides function, so you’ve basically got the ground work laid out. 50-50 is perfectly fair and if you’re undies are in such a bunch about it, just pay someone to do support (the pay would be taken out before splitting, so it’d be fair).

88 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
marcopolo488 says

Don’t you think 50-50 is a little bit not too fair? The WP developer has more work to do, has to ensure compatibility with the latest wordpress versions, with 3rd party plugins, has to code a theme options panel, etc etc.
50-50 does not seem fair, but considering the fact that at least for the most part good designers have to come up with a design that would be attractive enough for consistent sales (and remember, the design has to be unique, and the designers next theme would have to be entirely different) I think it seems fair that he/she gets 50%. Remember, the designer has to constantly keep coming up with innovative designs that he or she has to for the most part create from scratch. Good designers are hard to come by. :)

Been wathing for answer like this!

+10000000000

Some programmers love to degrade design skills, with reason “it takes more skill and time to programe something”, really weird thinking since design process is subjective programing is not, thos its alot harder to make a good design that we satisfy the majority… remember programer cannot sell without good design and good design cannot sell without programer… hmmm wait… no, yes they can not alot but they can :):):) (we are talking about themeforest not plugins :P )

That is why 50%-50% is fair even without html. It isn’t the point of how long it takes you to build it, the design process is an idea…

There are days when I sit at the computer for hours trying to come up with a good idea and in the end I just delete the stuff I came up with because the design does not seem good enough. Designing is a nerve racking process sometimes, as you can’t steadily progress in any direction and have no pre-set steps you can take….

by
by
by
by
by
by