124 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Belarus
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Themico says

I agree that design is very complex and creative process. It takes a lot of nerves sometimes, but sometimes it goes very well and you can do a lot of great stuff in a few hours. But of course, to finish a project you need to work very hard.

In the other side, full process of creating a site or a theme consist of 4 main steps:

1) idea and concept

2) design

3) front-end coding

4) back-end coding

5) support and updates

The first and last steps are simplest, but important. The other three are long and require a lot of experience. Hardly you can find a person that can do both front-end and back-end development at a high level. I know what I’m talking about as I’m tried to do all steps together, but have no no big success because it is almost not possible for one person to do all these hard work alone, when there are a lot of people that concentrate on something one. So, my last word is your skills worth nothing if you can’t finish the project. Theme development consist of 3 steps, and you can’t throw out something and call yourself a genius and ask 50% only because you do magic called webdesign.

4669 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

I agree that design is very complex and creative process. It takes a lot of nerves sometimes, but sometimes it goes very well and you can do a lot of great stuff in a few hours. But of course, to finish a project you need to work very hard.

In the other side, full process of creating a site or a theme consist of 4 main steps:

1) idea and concept

2) design

3) front-end coding

4) back-end coding

5) support and updates

The first and last steps are simplest, but important. The other three are long and require a lot of experience. Hardly you can find a person that can do both front-end and back-end development at a high level. I know what I’m talking about as I’m tried to do all steps together, but have no no big success because it is almost not possible for one person to do all these hard work alone, when there are a lot of people that concentrate on something one. So, my last word is your skills worth nothing if you can’t finish the project. Theme development consist of 3 steps, and you can’t throw out something and call yourself a genius and ask 50% only because you do magic called webdesign.

This would be an expected answer from a developer, who is a logical thinker and a natural problem solver. You are reasoning this based on logic, theories and assumptions to meet the ends of a finite answer. That may seem enough to you, but a designer thinks in an abstract way – where irrationality evokes something more than concrete things – a deeper meaning, something you may not relate to, so you may not understand since it holds no ground in a world of logic and reasoning. This is why designers and developers not always see eye to eye. A designer does not “throw out” a design as you put it, it’s something that comes from talent – a tool of expression, to create a mood or feeling through creativity. It may seem like magic to you, but perhaps that is how you reason it, since it defies your concepts of concrete, logical ideals.

But everyone has the ability to be both logical and creative, it’s just which half of your brain you tend to focus on more, the best would be to create a balance between the two, to appreciate both processes and how they interplay. Think of the 50/50 as paying for the left brain thinker, and the right brain thinker.. the two need to exist to create the overall results you want, to sell a good theme.

219 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
NuclearThemes says

I’d rather split 50% of 1000 sales with a great designer than 10% of 10 sales with a crap designer :) You get what you pay for.

1525 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

1) idea and concept

2) design

3) front-end coding

4) back-end coding

5) support and updates

This would be an expected answer from a developer, who is a logical thinker and a natural problem solver. You are reasoning this based on logic, theories and assumptions to meet the ends of a finite answer. That may seem enough to you, but a designer thinks in an abstract way – where irrationality evokes something more than concrete things – a deeper meaning, something you may not relate to, so you may not understand since it holds no ground in a world of logic and reasoning. This is why designers and developers not always see eye to eye. A designer does not “throw out” a design as you put it, it’s something that comes from talent – a tool of expression, to create a mood or feeling through creativity. It may seem like magic to you, but perhaps that is how you reason it, since it defies your concepts of concrete, logical ideals.

But everyone has the ability to be both logical and creative, it’s just which half of your brain you tend to focus on more, the best would be to create a balance between the two, to appreciate both processes and how they interplay. Think of the 50/50 as paying for the left brain thinker, and the right brain thinker.. the two need to exist to create the overall results you want, to sell a good theme.

Love you! :) Very well written. And one more thing the design process starts in your mind long b4 you open Photoshop. You have to count all time spent into the design Process. When you do, you will figure out that you need a lot of time, similar to development.

And as digitalscience perfectly sad and I will summ in 2 words “developer thinking ‘Everything Is 1 +1 = 2 to you guys. Keep in mind good designer can’t be tought.

And about salarys. You Have a few versions of designer

As I Call Them: 1. Nodding Designer, 2. Creative Designer and 3. All Mighty :)

The first will blindly follow what you ask him to do exacly The second one will advice and try to do what’s good for you And The All Mighty one will brake the rules and move the barriers.

Just remember in the most cases the first Impression sels.

And this top designers make top dollar, since a good designer is not just web designing … But also print and creativly think about all the possibilitys for the future.

Some of the convictions of you is actually very demining. For example the PSD section is the hardest section to be aprooved .... coz of its subjectivity.

I think no good designer shouldnt go for les then 50% and again DO NOT ! I SAY AGAIN DO NOT ! Calculate this by hourly work since if I calculate all thinking processes it would dwarf development time and then designer could the ones asking for more % :) Since the developer gets a psd design and the animation instructions etc. All you have to do is to put it together. With Uncle google at your side to help you. Now You See, doesnt that sound degrading?

3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

You guys completely forget about support! After a good theme is released, the developer has to work almost full time the next two weeks in order to release updates, fix bugs and respond to all the queries.

After that, the developer still has to support about 30-60min a day the theme, for at least 4 months.

In this time, what does the designer do? :) If i wouldn’t offer support, 50-50 would be a great deal. But with support on my hands, i’ll never do a 50-50 deal.

124 posts
  • Located in Belarus
+1 more
Themico says

I think no good designer shouldnt go for les then 50% and again DO NOT ! I SAY AGAIN DO NOT ! Calculate this by hourly work since if I calculate all thinking processes it would dwarf development time and then designer could the ones asking for more % :) Since the developer gets a psd design and the animation instructions etc. All you have to do is to put it together. With Uncle google at your side to help you. Now You See, doesnt that sound degrading?

Typical designer thinking. How about to code 10 thousands lines of code of mixed HTML /CSS/JS/PHP using all the knowledges and experience to make your design alive without going crazy? Then write docs and handle support requests and updates.

Why PSD costs 10$, HTML 15 $ and WP 40 $-50$ here?

1525 posts
+5 more
Anps says

Actually no. Since i was being sarcastic… but that is a good example why one can’t go without other and it is equal. And abotu that you do get more… since mostly the template sits on the developers account and, you get more paws, more sales, bigger commisions. So when you get to elite you have 70% commision but the designer still has in that case 25% coz is 50% of 50%... well ofcourse if that template itself gets 70 000+ then you can renegotiate.

1792 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

If the author is an elite author or a new author, they still get the same amount, it doesn’t matter. If one can’t go without the other, it means they should get 50-50? If one works 3 months and the other one 1 month, they should get the same, because they can’t do something without each other? LOL !

1525 posts
+5 more
Anps says

Then actually if i get an idea for a great project lets be blunt and say facebook 2, and i give it to you to develope, but keep in mind is my idea, you would get more then me as idea owner? The design process is very similar, design isnt just graphic design, its ui and ux and some designers need 1 week some 2 the same as coders so if u are not that skilled and need 5 month to make something that somebody makes in 1 month those that mean you get more?

This is actually pointless we are never going to agree. And we pointed out more times, that time spent on work in this case is irrelevant!

124 posts
  • Located in Belarus
+1 more
Themico says

This is actually pointless we are never going to agree. And we pointed out more times, that time spent on work in this case is irrelevant!

By the way, do you need a dev? Just asking, because i see a nice PSD ’s in your account but no HTML or WP…

by
by
by
by
by
by