88 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
marcopolo488 says

This is actually pointless we are never going to agree. And we pointed out more times, that time spent on work in this case is irrelevant!
By the way, do you need a dev? Just asking, because i see a nice PSD ’s in your account but no HTML or WP…

:):):) doesn’t a good design make you think a 50-50 split for it would be an ABSOLUTELY SUPER LUCRATIVE MUST HAVE deal??....lol….

136 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United Kingdom
ThemeShaper says

Debating how much design is worth and how much development worth is fairly pointless, and time is certainly fairly irrelevant.

If a design will make a WP theme sell 1000 copies, even it the design took 2 hrs to do, you will find a developer to convert to WP for less than 50%. On the other hand, a junk design that takes 3 solid weeks is worthless.

If a designer wants to get a decent developer to go for a 50/50 split, you need to have the following:

1)Relatively decent sales in the psd / html category (150-200 or so) 2)An obviously high quality design.

If you don’t have 1, you will have a hard time persuading a dev to take the time risk to do it. Without an indicator of future sales you are effectively asking a developer to work for free on a chance they will get repaid.

124 posts
  • Belarus
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Themico says

:):):) doesn’t a good design make you think a 50-50 split for it would be an ABSOLUTELY SUPER LUCRATIVE MUST HAVE deal??....lol….

For your information we work with 3 other designers here and we have a lot of templates and themes already. And our split scheme is like 50%-50% for HTML template category, and 35%-65% for WP category. What do you say now? Or you prefer to have nothing instead of 50% from HTML and 35% from WP without any effort? :P

88 posts
  • Exclusive Author
marcopolo488 says

For your information we work with 3 other designers here and we have a lot of templates and themes already. And our split scheme is like 50%-50% for HTML template category, and 35%-65% for WP category. What do you say now? Or you prefer to have nothing instead of 50% from HTML and 35% from WP without any effort? :P

Lol, you’re right actually. I’m just irritated by the fact that some devs make their job sound like rocket science. If a developer is paid more, it should be considered fair SOLELY because of the TIME spent on updating and support. On the other hand, if the designer’s work is better than average and sales are excellent then a 50/50 split wouldn’t be bad for the developer. Plus, consider this: If the developer is working for a top seller at Themeforest, selling multiple themes, he/she could easily make $20,000+ per month working for a 50% cut (full time, of course). That would be a lot more than what a WP developer gets paid for a full time job in the market today. (Correct me if I’m wrong). Remember, we’re talking Wordpress development and support. NOTE : I’m not trying to hate on developers… :) By the way, I’d like to see some of your dev jobs that you get paid 65% for, if you don’t mind. I’m not being sarcastic, I really would love to see them, just so I have an idea of how things work. Would appreciate it a lot. :)

1715 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

Actually it’s not about the time spent, because a full-time web developer earns more than a web designer and they work the same number of hours every day.

88 posts
  • Exclusive Author
marcopolo488 says

Actually it’s not about the time spent, because a full-time web developer earns more than a web designer and they work the same number of hours every day.

Like I said, I was talking Wordpress. Nice theme in your portfolio by the way. Did you develop that?

124 posts
  • Belarus
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Themico says

By the way, I’d like to see some of your dev jobs that you get paid 65% for, if you don’t mind. I’m not being sarcastic, I really would love to see them, just so I have an idea of how things work. Would appreciate it a lot. :)

I can show you few of them, but in private (as we usually work on NDA terms), and can’t see the contact from in your profile.

3 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
marco_polo says

Should be able to see my contact form now. :)

1715 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

I didn’t design it, just coding. Anyway, only few designers / coders have the opportunity to live from themeforest and not work somewhere else… but still, 50-50 is still not fair, from my point of view.

3 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
marco_polo says

Exactly what I meant. Pretty decent job on theme functionality. Mind if I asked you how long you took to complete the theme? And how much of a split would you consider fair?

by
by
by
by
by
by