Need you opinion. Are web templates killing our industry and will web designers/developers still be needed in the future?.

5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
MrBobman says

Hello, I just want to know peoples opinions on this subject. I love creating websites but I want to know if the career outlook for this is good. I would like to make a nice living with it(I obviously don’t need to be a millionaire) is it possible and are templates killing our industry? Let me know your opinions its killing me lol. Thank you.

309 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
cosmincotor says

For most envato customers buying a template/theme is only the first step, after that they will be looking for a designer/developer to customize it, and further develop it.

Designers and developers will always be needed, and with new technologies showing up each day, you’ll have plenty of work.

Learn, adapt and persevere that way you won’t fail

//just my opinion

5 posts
MrBobman says

Thank you for the answer. Made me feel better

3243 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

Thank you for the answer. Made me feel better

there are a lot of buyers that are actually developers and designers either the clients dont have a budget for a full blown custom site or its a developer who cant design(or vise versa)

725 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

IMO, templates industry can kill only crap developers, who makes crap sites. Personally I’ll be glad to see that. Those guys almost killed the web-dev industry by underbidding and creating crap.

2204 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
Nitro_Themes says

@DreamTheme.

You guys got some sick stuff in your portfolio. Nice work.

Cheers

Lester

50 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
Allseeingeye says

I actually believe it will make the industry boom.

Even if there are free tutorials online with cheap templates, business’s alike will still vouch to invest in someone to properly look after the online presence.

I think it has been the golden age for everyone the last few years, the opportunities that are being created is amazing.

All this will do is get developers to push their boundaries, develop more, be more creative, more innovative and as the comment above me mentioned, rid of these scam like developers.

To build a nice looking website will soon become the norm, I think the process will become even easier, this will have a knock on effect and create more jobs in the IT security industry and places where the normal folks like us cant deliver.

Peace

2 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
nimbuschick says

I’m the web designer for my family publishing company and I can safely say that only one other person at the company could set up our sites the way I have (even with templates to start from) and he would swear a lot and throw things before getting the job done.

6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Let me know your opinions its killing me lol. Thank you.

The concept of templates were not so good in the early 2000. Because, those times a framework wasn’t much of a need (comparing to design and uniqueness) due to lack of CMS and almost no fragmentation of browsers and devices.

Later, CMS integration, device & browser support obviously required a framework to start even an unique design. So as of now it is possible to cover unique designs (upto certain extent) with a framework (template) and the theme industry grown a lot to cover wide range of designs – structures. So it seems templates no longer being a trouble for the industry.

by
by
by
by
by
by