280 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has referred 200+ members
+6 more
johnnybd says

When the reply is nice, what’s the case then ?
I tend to do that.
Example: “The theme is very nice, but I noticed that the portfolio image links are broken and About page title has a spelling error. Good luck!”

Kris
There’s nothing wrong with buyers leaving comments like this. We just hate it when our competitors do it. Because we should be supporting each other, not tearing each other down.

So you’re saying if someone bought an audio file for $1 he’s allowed to do so? if that’s the case, everyone can just open a “buyer” profile and and tear each other up, how about just leaving those type of comments for email and keep a certain ethic among this community? this way we keep some code of honor among us; whether we’re Buyers, Authors, or Both.

114 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
WebDesignFudge says

It happenes to me too. If a fellow author wants to sabbotage your item they deserve to be kicked out and have their toe’s clamped.

280 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
johnnybd says

Actually, karma works way faster, if a fellow author is trying to sabotage your item, they are already experiencing low sales and desperation, kicking them out and clamping their toes is becoming desperate as they are, they should be treated with compassion and understanding, that’s the golden rule.

2541 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CreatingDrew says

Hey all,

I agree that negative or rude comments, especially on a new item, can be disheartening. But there is hope… ;)

Just a reminder that if you see a comment that you feel is inappropriate for an item page, you may flag it and a staff member will review it shortly after. One of the great things about our community is how much we care for one another, and I think this thread shows just how concerned we can be for each other and each others work :)

Try not to worry about the naysayers and inappropriate comments, just flag it and focus on your awesome items :grin:

2580 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

Its best to DM authors in this situation.

4332 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

Hey all,

I agree that negative or rude comments, especially on a new item, can be disheartening. But there is hope… ;)

Just a reminder that if you see a comment that you feel is inappropriate for an item page, you may flag it and a staff member will review it shortly after. One of the great things about our community is how much we care for one another, and I think this thread shows just how concerned we can be for each other and each others work :)

Try not to worry about the naysayers and inappropriate comments, just flag it and focus on your awesome items :grin:

That’s the purpose of opening this thread. Trying to let authors know we’re all friends and all working toward a common goal!

SelfPublishServices
SelfPublishServices Recent Posts Threads Started
473 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
SelfPublishServices says

I’ve not had another author do this to me and, to be honest, I have about 95% positive comments. having said that, I have had a few irate comments made, by people who hate it when I remain calm.

This is a big no-no for me. Even before the Wiki link, I had the thought about doing unto others as you would like to be done unto you (though I don’t actually speak like that). It’s actually one of my two personal mantras and, if it makes the world a better place, maybe more people should think in this way.

I think an email to the author pointing out the problem is the perfect solution, as it doesn’t cause a problem for the author, instead it points out something that may have been missed, and the author should be happy that it has come to their attention.

6024 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

I also watched this thing on CC, atleast one author always have his/her presence on item comments just to point some silly deficiencies (not about bugs but features). However since those authors do the same on many of the items, probably the buyers will be familiar with those comments and omit them just after seeing the avatar :D

1461 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
WebSmacker says

If the author clearly doesn’t have a competing item on the marketplace, you should take it as a compliment that they took the time to point out a flaw in your item. It’s free testing that you didn’t have to pay for or do. Maybe they are trying to help you make your item better, which could sell more and save you time with support. If you think someone is trying to “bash” your item, then the best response to it is to fix the flaw and comment “This is fixed! Thanks for pointing it out. :)”. Your potential buyers will see that you are actively working to make the item better and would be more apt to purchase.

Just my 2 cents

941 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
graphicmind says

Maybe you guys just worry too much about comments?

Seriously, do they have that much of an effect? Consider a theme with 400 comments, do you think all buyers read each and every comment? And do you think someone isn’t going to buy a theme because a spelling mistake was mentioned in a comment?

by
by
by
by
by
by