206 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+4 more
reubenchng says

Maybe you guys just worry too much about comments? Seriously, do they have that much of an effect? Consider a theme with 400 comments, do you think all buyers read each and every comment? And do you think someone isn’t going to buy a theme because a spelling mistake was mentioned in a comment?

Well, in themeforest, an item might get hundreds of comments whereas on audiojungle, where I belong only get none to a few comments every now and then. I partially agree with you that maybe we shouldn’t worry so much about comments. But on the other hand, comments from buyers really gives that perception of an item. I believe that.

Like why people buy big cars? To give a perception to people that he or she is a successful person, right? :)

5345 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

If the author clearly doesn’t have a competing item on the marketplace, you should take it as a compliment that they took the time to point out a flaw in your item. It’s free testing that you didn’t have to pay for or do.

Good intentions, but I think you’re missing the big picture. Comments are permanent. And when an author spends a month on a marketplace item, with every intention of investing more hours maintaining and improving the item, negative comments are simply sales killers. It’s like saying,

“Hi dude, I see you just spent a month on this item. Awesome! But it has some problems. Sorry to rain on your parade. Better luck next time!”

There’s just no need for that. And a simple and respectful personal email is only one click away.

1431 posts Determined to give you nothing but the best!
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
mrcharlesbrown says

If a buyer really care about the author and want to help him, he or she can simply email the author pick-pointing the flaws. Writing anything you like in the comment box is very irresponsible and can really affect the sales of that item. This case is similar to poor rating – some buyers hardly go through the instruction note in the download file and when they are unable to get a sound result of that item, they will just rate it poorly (the fault is not from the Author or Envato because every file in these marketplaces was properly examined by the Reviewers. Fault is from the buyer for not reading the ‘READ ME” note).

In addition, negative comments usually come from fellow authors (mostly when they feel challenged) and that is not good at all. We are meant to encourage one another and not to act as a stumbling stone/block.

Flagging a comment is OK but if you want to get the attention of buyers, reply that comment with constructive sentence of the quality of your item and how outstanding it is. Such humble and positive comment will overlap the negative comment and buyers will know that you really know what you are doing.

There was a time I saw an author’s preview, I simply emailed him to change the background because it is in conflict with the main items. He immediately changed it and was happy for the email. That is what community is all about.

5345 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

In addition, negative comments usually come from fellow authors and that is not good at all. We are meant to encourage one another and not to act as a stumbling stone.

+1 and I want to stress that my opinions are based on author comments as opposed to comments from buyers. Buyers need to have a voice, and we should definitely welcome it.

1431 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

Agree, buyers should voice out in the comment, either bad or good. If you are an author and you notice bugs, you can directly contact the author and ask for a fix asap. Putting a negative comment may not hurt the sales directly, but it gives a very bad impressions to different type of buyers

Like what @codingJack said, you have good intention, but its not the right way to help, at least not with the current comment system.

1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

Wouldn’t it be cool if authors could moderate the item comments on their own?

4255 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+14 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

Wouldn’t it be cool if authors could moderate the item comments on their own?

Nope. We cannot be impartial toward our own item. Thats why staff must step in.

1734 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
VisualSharing says

How wise authors and most buyers would see it:

1. Someone commented on something broken
  2. I opened up the demo – it’s fixed
  3. The author definitely takes care of bugs – can be trusted
  4. Worth buying
1431 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

How wise authors and buyers would see it:
  1. Someone commented on something broken
  2. I opened up the demo – it’s fixed
  3. The author definitely takes care of bugs – can be trusted
  4. Worth buying
Maybe not all authors or buyers are as wise as .. you? No offend. This is a marketplace and we are dealing with different type of people from different countries, cultures.

Again, its not a bad thing to let author know there is a bug, but, a private email will avoid all the hassle, at least with the current comment system.

1734 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
VisualSharing says

This is a marketplace and we are dealing with different type of people from different countries, cultures.

Exactly – this thread is focusing only on one type of people. And when you focus on something, you see only that.

I question what is the proof (the empirical data) for the concept that constructive comments hurt author image. These comments are called “negative”, while this deduction should come from that empirical data.

For now the only reason is fear (of getting a bad image, hurting sales), but fears exist only in your mind and are created from improper perceptions. I call for a more open-minded approach.

I am happy to say that I’ve had constructive comments from authors and, at the same time, I always e-mailed authors privately. In other words, Yakov Smirnoff said it best.

by
by
by
by
by
by