1442 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
+3 more
WebSmacker says

I understand how constructive criticism is looked down upon in item comments. People either get offended by it, or they take it as a challenge, fix and learn from it.

153 posts I think about colours
  • Located in Greece
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+3 more
SkatDesign says

But what do you think about a buyer that leaves a comment like:

“This theme doesn’t have this, this and this. It sucks. I’ve wasted my money on a theme that doesn’t have also this, this and this. Most of the themes out there have these features, why this theme doesn’t have it. It is not normal that this theme hasn’t it.”
296 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
cosmincotor says

But what do you think about a buyer that leaves a comment like:
“This theme doesn’t have this, this and this. It sucks. I’ve wasted my money on a theme that doesn’t have also this, this and this. Most of the themes out there have these features, why this theme doesn’t have it. It is not normal that this theme hasn’t it.”

If the features aren’t listed, then I consider it his fault for not taking the time to read the description and check out the preview, and maybe ask a question prior to purchasing the file, after all that’s what the comments section is for.

If a buyer that actually bought the file comes back and says something is broken, and he is actually right, then the comment is not only welcomed but appropriate. If he’s not right then there’s a report button.

153 posts I think about colours
  • Located in Greece
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
SkatDesign says

@cosmincotor:

He didn’t complain about the theme not working. Just that it hasn’t a long line of features that he listed and other themes have that.

I’ve told him that that’s why the demo page is for: to showcase all the theme’s features. But, no, he continued with things like “yeah, but look, all the top themes have this features. Why it doesn’t have related posts like the top selling theme? Why , why why… and so on”.

538 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Farley_Design says

Saw a couple of those and thought – man, this is not cool at all :)

296 posts
+4 more
cosmincotor says

@cosmincotor:

He didn’t complain about the theme not working. Just that it hasn’t a long line of features that he listed and other themes have that.

I’ve told him that that’s why the demo page is for: to showcase all the theme’s features. But, no, he continued with things like “yeah, but look, all the top themes have this features. Why it doesn’t have related posts like the top selling theme? Why , why why… and so on”.

Well there’s not much you can do, as long as all the features were properly listed for him to see what he’s buying, I don’t see how his indifference to your description and preview is your fault. Just be nice, and if he continues to spam your comments section just contact support, and explain the situation.

1840 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
ShermanJackson says

Yes! Insecurity is the main reason. Your item is a threat to theirs. Report those comments or go to their items and give them a piece of your mind. Tit for Tat :)

17 posts
  • Located in United States
etinteractive says

I’ll chime in as a Buyer. I’ve actually reviewed themes b/c they look great but not having bought them and notice a small bug.

I POLITELY tell the author what i found along with “great work” or something positive. Because after all, I was looking at the theme because it was nice.

I feel I’m doing the author a favor by pointing it out which may save them from Raging customers and really negative press later.

I dont point these out b/c im trying sabotage anyones work, which some ppl have suggested other authors do. (im not an author) but as a courtesy and someone who appreciates nice work.

It also lets me know as a buyer, if I post an issue how fast the author is at responding and fixing it. If they flag it or basically say “whatever” that’s not an author who I feel will support me if I buy their product.

Just my $.02 as a buyer.

Keep up the good work all you Authors :-D

1373 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
dekurvajo says

When i saw an item based on exactly my idea, construction, even the preview was totally similar (o.O) i was very close to leave a comment. But i did not. What can i do? Some people create, some people follow, some people just copy. Thats it. If the Envato accepted then he accepted. Later i saw the rating was 3… So no needed to comment anymore.

2217 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
crozer says

If I see a flaw in the theme/product that the author is most-likely unaware of, I will tell them directly through the comments-section. There is no reason for being “sneaky”. It is a completely normal and acceptable thing. What’s not cool is to point out superficial flaws that do not affect the functionality of the respective item, and were just written for the mere purpose of feeling superior/putting another author and his/her item down, and the like.

by
by
by
by
by
by