• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

Hi everyone, I’ve always hated having to lug around a laptop when I’m away from my existing home-office (I currently have a 15” Dell) – so recently I’ve been hunting for a netbook that’ll allow me to do some basic web coding/surfing while I’m out and about. I’ve read tons of reviews already, so I’m specifically looking for feedback that relates to “mobile coders” or people that use em for a little more than just surfing the net. I’m obviously not looking for a Photoshop workhorse, just some notes on what I should be looking for in terms of usability and convenience. Does anyone even use a netbook here? Thanks!!

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+8 more
JeffreyWay Moderator says

Haha…Brandon’s going shoppin’!

537 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
Hein says

Haven’t got a Netbook so i can’t say much about it, i do my work on Mac Book Pro when i’m out of my office, but I’ve found this article a while a go on Woork.

Good luck with the search.

921 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

Funny – I actually need to get final “approval” from Alaire (the fiance’) before I make a purchase; Which isn’t really like it sounds, I’d just buy every gadget in sight if I didn’t give her a little veto power on major purchases – Amazon prime accounts are dangerous! I’m also too cheap/jaded to actually put down money on a workhorse laptop when they outdate themselves within a few months nowadays… which is why I’m not really factoring in the Air or a smaller MacBook Pro in my search.

Oh – and on the cheapskate note, did I mention that I’m still using a first gen iPhone with a giant down the face of it (that I convinced a client buy for me years ago). I’m no big spender and I would fail miserably at being a rapper because most of my bling would be bought wholesale at Costco.

478 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
kevinsturf says

Funny – I actually need to get final “approval” from Alaire (the fiance’) before I make a purchase; Which isn’t really like it sounds, I’d just buy every gadget in sight if I didn’t give her a little veto power on major purchases – Amazon prime accounts are dangerous! I’m also too cheap/jaded to actually put down money on a workhorse laptop when they outdate themselves within a few months nowadays… which is why I’m not really factoring in the Air or a smaller MacBook Pro in my search.

Oh – and on the cheapskate note, did I mention that I’m still using a first gen iPhone with a giant down the face of it (that I convinced a client buy for me years ago). I’m no big spender and I would fail miserably at being a rapper because most of my bling would be bought wholesale at Costco.

wow lol! “rapper” “costco” lmao. Well the other day, I was helping a friend search for a netbook and i came across some dell netbooks. They seem pretty good for like everyday uses but not like an overhaul of stuff. I guess it would work for what you would want. you should check them out.

255 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United States
BuchmannDesign says

I own an eee pc netbook, and love it! My main complaint is it’s small keyboard… there is a learning curve for typing fast on it. And i always hit the up arrow instead of the “shift” button which constantly messes up typing.

The screen real estate is also pretty small, but if it’s not your main dev computer, you’ll be fine. I use it occasionally, and i can’t work as fast on it as a regular computer because of the smaller screen and keyboard. Processor-wise, i find it fast enough for coding. I haven’t tried installing anything as demanding as PS.

I often will “remote” into my main computer with Logmein.com. So i can use the speed and huge array of installed programs from my normal computer right on the netbook! (from anywhere in the world that i have an internet connection) It works so well I often forget i’m remoting into my home computer!

Bottom line is that the small size will make it frustrating to use for very long periods of time. But it’ll get the job done.

1475 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

Nice workspace, Brandon! Maybe we should start a “post your workspace/desk setup” thread? Even though it’s totally irrelevant to ThemeForest, it would be cool to see what different designers use on a daily basis! I would love show off my new setup that will be ready in a week or so. :)

921 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
I own an eee pc netbook, and love it! My main complaint is it’s small keyboard… there is a learning curve for typing fast on it. And i always hit the up arrow instead of the “shift” button which constantly messes up typing.

Mind sharing the model #? I know they have a new “92% size keyboard”, I’d be curious to know if it’s all it’s cracked up to be. I might just drop by BestBuy to try it out too.

921 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
Nice workspace, Brandon! Maybe we should start a “post your workspace/desk setup” thread? Even though it’s totally irrelevant to ThemeForest, it would be cool to see what different designers use on a daily basis! I would love show off my new setup that will be ready in a week or so. :)

Not a bad idea – fire it up when you have your new rig setup :)

967 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
purethemes says

I’ve tested for more than month Asus EEE PC 1000HE for big polish computer site pclab.pl (of cours you wouldn’t understand my review, so I will tell what I know ;))

That Asus was quite good, really fast and efficient, and has amazing battery which could work for 8h! And that’s not some deceitful marketing promise, it’s really good, and I really could use it for such a long time without recharging . But you know, screen in that netbooks is really small, especially height.. You can see only 1/3 of document page in Word in default size.. Pretty small, especially when you want to code.. but that’s how it is and if you want something small there’s no other options. So like I said, I recommend you that Asus, it has really good and quite big keyboard, screen has nice colors (OLED), it has multi-touch touchpad (like Mac ;)) and battery life is impressive. It’s good solution for people who travel a lot, but if you want to use it as a second computer in home or sth, thats pointless.. Even browsing web is hard with such a small resolution.

by
by
by
by
by
by