248 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Romania
bodorobodo says

Never start a custom job without half of the payment.

Getting really close bodorobodo! I think you have captured the major essence of what I am looking for here.bla bla bla bla. email me at blabla@com with a price estimate and how you would like to move forward

A BIT LATER (read a few days)

I showed what you have produced so far to my other business partners and unfortunately they want the audio to go in another direction. I fought for this but I was ultimately out-voted. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences.

My translation: I showed what you have produce to mum and dad and they said they wouldn’t give me more money. It’s either ice cream, this song or that guy’s song of half price.

131 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Taiwan
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
buddhabeats says

I don’t do custom jobs like you do, but for what I do (voice recording) I completely take minimum 50% up front for new customers for the first several cases until I can believe they’re trustable. (new word I just invented!?) And that’s only for customers who seem like they have a good online presence and have been in business for a while. If from a gmail address, then 100%.

Hope you didn’t lose too much time on your project. Look at it in a good light, at least you can submit the track here and maybe recoup some of your effort with $$$

646 posts Allegro120 Composer
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
Allegro120 says

Unfortunately in this profession you have to be very careful. Do not be discouraged, this is a lesson and we must learn from it.

Good luck for next time.

248 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
bodorobodo says

Thanks for the support guys

9 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Sweden
WayUpNorthMusic says

I’m so sorry to hear that happened to you. I also learned my lesson the hard way a while ago. Another thing is to make sure that you have a very clear agreement on the number of revisions. That forces the client to be very specific and descriptive of what they want.

1990 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Switzerland
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
matsteiner Reviewer says

Hey bodorobodo

Thanks for sharing this. I’m very sorry for you.
It’s always good to have those things in mind…
I hope you can upload it to AJ and sell it good here at least…!

248 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
bodorobodo says

Thanks Mat, thanks Par. It’s nice to see people care. Luckily for me, it’s not so tragic. I just wanted to point out for others that they shouldn’t have second thoughts and/or feel embarrassed to ask for half of the money in advance and to watermark their song until the job is paid.

7 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
nikitaka says

Hey man! Don’t be sad and go further!
Making music is my only one profession and I have to say – be calm and ready for such situations anytime, it happens-) My last of that kind was year ago, much more unpleasant – I composed for full-length feature for a few month and – wow, then executive producer decided that music is not as good as he dreamed – it happened at the final line, when everything was ready. The worst that I loose half of money – they didn’t pay-( And it is thousand of bucks…
I hope this story will cheer you up a little – you really got great lesson – cheap by the way. So be more careful in the future and stop thinking about this bu..it

248 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
bodorobodo says

Sorry for your loss Niki. I thought this was just a Balkan situation. I’ve discovered now it’s possible anywhere in the world. I’m already forgetting it, it’s more funny than sad, the amount was ridiculous anyway, if I had my expectations so low, I wouldn’t be here

7 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
nikitaka says

Sorry for your loss Niki.
Never be sorry, bodorobodo! Life is pretty wonderful thing to carry any sorrow-) Just take it as a LESSON – I personally think about this way. Hope in civilized countries such occurrences happen rarely…
by
by
by
by
by
by