52 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
ValvePress says

we are also really proud of what we achieved and love the new look. With time, we hope you will too.

You, respectable staff love the badges but not the community. Please note it is named “Community Badges” not “Staff Badges” so even it is loved from staff you should respect and adapt to community needs not just hope that community will love it

May it does not mean alot for staff that this paw is silver and the other is platinum, Only authors can know what it means for them to move from one old coloured paw to another because they feel it, long waited for it and worked very hard to reach it. now it is gone and you got just another number

At all I give up and will unfollow this thread. just RIP my old lovely badges. This is life some people ruin others loved stuff. :crying:

5180 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Such a mighty, passionate response from our community both here in the forums and via our survey! ...but we also know design is highly subjective and it’s impossible to make something everyone loves.

Thanks for the feedback, Natman.

From this thread, I’d say that the feedback has been almost entirely negative (there’s not a single unequivocally positive comment in the first 150 posts) I think we can safely say that this is not a case of a little subjective difference, but an objective dislike of the new badges by the overwhelming majority of the community.

The problem seems to be (as Simonswiss so neatly surmised above):

...these illustrations were designed beautifully. But they are just that – illustrations, not icons.

Another salient post from user Lazy, demonstrated how quickly and easily the situation can be fixed, while keeping true to the spirit and inspiration of the original designs.

http://cl.ly/image/1L2Q3p3N0o1B (full size image)

In Lazy’s image, the icons are smaller, more readable, more differentiated, less childish and just as charming as the originals.

The guys who designed these new icons should have a look at these; should have a read through this entire thread; should regard it as a round of feedback on the job, and set about making the tweaks that will turn this job around. It seems a shame not to finish the job off properly.

What’s more, revisiting these designs would send a very visible message that Envato is listening to its community… and that has been somewhat lacking lately.
278 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Located in United Kingdom
+4 more
Patchesoft says

I just want the coloured paws back :(

736 posts Plastic it's fantastic:))
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+9 more
plastic3 says
With time, we hope you will too.
Never
249 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
DanThemes says

However, I’d like to clarify some specific points: We won’t be reverting back to the old system/icons and the overall art direction is not going to change.

You’re not gonna consider doing a major change in the badges’ look EVEN IF over 90% of the survey participants are against it? Then why on earth would you invite us to complete that survey if the results of it would never change your fixed ideas?

We know the new designs are not to everyone’s taste, but we also know design is highly subjective and it’s impossible to make something everyone loves.

Yeah, design sometimes can be subjective, but that’s NOT the problem. The problem is that ALMOST NOBODY (besides the team that worked on them, obviously) loves the new badges, you’re among the very few that do. The vast majority of authors loved the old badges (you can tell that just by reading this topic), so if we’re going with what the majority loves then bring back the old badges. If you’re really that keen on changing them then I’m sure you could find on these marketplaces dozens of people willing and able to do far better badges than the current cartoonish/ugly ones.

250 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has referred 50+ members
+1 more
Andrew_G says

I think, Envato staff should take some time to re-read previous posts and simply count “dislike” posts to understand the situation here and make further decisions. :) I’ve counted only few positive ones.

67 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
daext says

In my opinion the badges that should be absolutely removed/redesigned ( because are ugly ) are:

1. Has collected X items
  2. Has sold X on Envato Market.
  3. Has been part of the community for over X years.
  4. Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations.
  5. Contributed a blog post.
  6. Joined an Envato Football competition
  7. Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
  8. Won a Most Wanted contest.

The other badges are decent or more than decent.

159 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
starshade says

Stop wasting time everybody. Their reply tells everything: they will not change them(any time soon) and the opinions expressed here mean NOTHING to Envato.

Now they sit back and wait for all this to cool down and everybody will forget or not care anymore about it (“With time, we hope you will too.” says it all).

Q: Why did they make a survey and asked for feedback ?

A: So that we the community have the illusion that we are listened and Envato cares about our opinion. “We always have the interests of the community in mind” sounds so nice, isn’t it ?

Also the so called reason why the icons won’t be adjusted is ridiculous at best:

“We know the new designs are not to everyone’s taste, but we also know design is highly subjective and it’s impossible to make something everyone loves”.

Highly subjective lol. When such a high number of people provided a more than 90% negative feedback, it’s really starting to not be subjective anymore, so please Envato stop being so ridiculous in negating the reality. But maybe you’re living in a world of fantasy ?

And at last, the conclusion: there is an old saying in the areas where I live. It’s a rather sarcastic one but it fits so well with Envato corporate attitude nowadays:

The dogs bark but the caravan is moving.

PS: And I saw the same attitude in the mandatory support requirement thread(s). Now it’s the part when you’re playing the good guys: everybody calm down, bla bla, timeout, let’s make surveys, get more feedback, bla bla… But at least I already know how one will end too.

Cheers!

3732 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

Well, this is just depressing.

679 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years