284 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
sightsignal says

Simply because the designers put “their heart, soul and intentions” into the badges, it shouldn’t mean those badges can’t be questioned. It seems that as long as someone in the envato team is proud of these badges, then all is good, community comes second and will learn to love them with time, even though the community has spoken with 50 pages of highly negative replies.

Seems like you don’t want the community that much involved in the community badges :|. At the very least, for those future tweaks with our feedback in mind, first assemble a small group of design variations of a badge and then ask YOUR community to vote on which one they prefer.

7604 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

We know the new designs are not to everyone’s taste, but we also know design is highly subjective and it’s impossible to make something everyone loves.

While maybe there were people who didn’t liked the old badges, I don’t remember a thread with 54 pages of mostly negative feedback about them. That proves a consensus is possible

Again, we know there’s room for improvement, but we are also really proud of what we achieved and love the new look.

first rule of design is to not get in love with your creations and be critical about it. I’m not joking. Is true, this rule exist.

With time, we hope you will too.

will not happen

159 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
starshade says

We know the new designs are not to everyone’s taste, but we also know design is highly subjective and it’s impossible to make something everyone loves.

While maybe there were people who didn’t liked the old badges, I don’t remember a thread with 54 pages of mostly negative feedback about them. That proves a consensus is possible

Again, we know there’s room for improvement, but we are also really proud of what we achieved and love the new look.

first rule of design is to not get in love with your creations and be critical about it. I’m not joking. Is true, this rule exist.

will not happen

+1

Doru, they know this very well anyway, but from their attitude results that they consider themselves too big now which implies being too full of themselves to even admit that they ever messed up anything.

Sooner or later this will cool down and we will move on but implying that one day the majority of grown ups authors and buyers will like these cartoonish graphics is illusional.

1466 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
WebSmacker says

...We won’t be reverting back to the old system/icons and the overall art direction is not going to change. We know the new designs are not to everyone’s taste, but we also know design is highly subjective and it’s impossible to make something everyone loves…..... Again, we know there’s room for improvement, but we are also really proud of what we achieved and love the new look.

This is a prime example of how Envato is going to do what they feel like, no matter how large the outcry. These new badges are HORRIBLE. They are too big, too much detail and many of them are hard to distinguish apart from eachother. I agree with the new badge/acheivement system, but the majority of us don’t like the designs and size. [EDITING in a more polite way] Since you came up with the designs, you are partial to liking them. But in all reality they are not designs for badges and you know that you. You expressed they were hard to scale down, which is why they are too big. There are concepts that other authors have put into this thread that look much better. Put your ego aside and make the changes because these badges are not good, period.

13 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
ThemeSplat says

Such a mighty, passionate response from our community both here in the forums and via our survey! ...but we also know design is highly subjective and it’s impossible to make something everyone loves.

Thanks for the feedback, Natman.

From this thread, I’d say that the feedback has been almost entirely negative (there’s not a single unequivocally positive comment in the first 150 posts) I think we can safely say that this is not a case of a little subjective difference, but an objective dislike of the new badges by the overwhelming majority of the community.

The problem seems to be (as Simonswiss so neatly surmised above):

...these illustrations were designed beautifully. But they are just that – illustrations, not icons.

Another salient post from user Lazy, demonstrated how quickly and easily the situation can be fixed, while keeping true to the spirit and inspiration of the original designs.

http://cl.ly/image/1L2Q3p3N0o1B (full size image)

In Lazy’s image, the icons are smaller, more readable, more differentiated, less childish and just as charming as the originals.

The guys who designed these new icons should have a look at these; should have a read through this entire thread; should regard it as a round of feedback on the job, and set about making the tweaks that will turn this job around. It seems a shame not to finish the job off properly.

What’s more, revisiting these designs would send a very visible message that Envato is listening to its community… and that has been somewhat lacking lately.

Great example on providing feedback. I like the way they were adjusted from the original NEW design.

I have to agree with everyone here and the new badges look childish. For someone that is the Quality Team Leader for GraphicRiver I would have expected something better. :-/ Maybe it would have been nice to have posted a topic before releasing them and gathered some feedback from some talented graphic designer on the market here. It would have engaged people and make them feel part of the community contributing to the new project…

wordpress-premium
wordpress-premium Recent Posts Threads Started
20 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
wordpress-premium says

...We won’t be reverting back to the old system/icons and the overall art direction is not going to change. We know the new designs are not to everyone’s taste, but we also know design is highly subjective and it’s impossible to make something everyone loves.

It’s very bad & unprofessional :( Unfortunately today, not everyone has ability to recognize own mistakes.

13 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
ThemeSplat says

but we also know design is highly subjective and it’s impossible to make something everyone loves.

About that. I’m sure when the reviewers rejects items giving poor feedback make feel the Authors the same way. Don’t you agree? Design is subjective?. 54 pages of disagreements could have been avoided, really. Proper feedback as already mentioned would have made the whole experience completely different resulting in a great product as well…

500 posts
  • Located in Germany
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+5 more
GraficAndMedia says

will not happen

Thats so true. Its really a shame!

201 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
IronykDesign says

We cannot put a date on any tweaks or updates because there’s many other projects in the works that require our attention, but that also doesn’t mean that we’re closing the door on this project.

We know you have plenty of work, but I hope this will be one of your priorities. It is essential for us to have a professional looking profile page, and right now – with all due respect, our profile pages doesn’t look good. I agree with everyone else – these badges are too childish and don’t fit well on this market. Thanks.

3732 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

We cannot put a date on any tweaks or updates because there’s many other projects in the works that require our attention, but that also doesn’t mean that we’re closing the door on this project.

We know you have plenty of work, but I hope this will be one of your priorities. It is essential for us to have a professional looking profile page, and right now – with all due respect, our profile pages doesn’t look good. I agree with everyone else – these badges are too childish and don’t fit well on this market. Thanks.

I agree totally. I would hesitate to show someone my Envato page now, because I fear that they would think I’m spending time on something childish or silly. I think these badges just don’t really match the tone of the rest of the visuals on the marketplaces.

by
by
by
by
by
by