• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

Now that we start to see more and more BuddyPress themes coming I was wondering if other than a specific category would be needed also a new license.

Considering the multiuser/multiblog purpose of BuddyPress, most of the buyers should buy the Extended License to use the full potential of this incredible plugin, this because the current terms of use of the WP themes.

Now, I guess that most buyers don’t know this and so I was wondering how envato will make this clear and if the staff has ever considered to make available a BuddyPress specific license to match this particular situation.

For those authors that already have BuddyPress ready themes, are you guys selling any EL or not? What do you think?

Cheers,

Parker

1029 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+5 more
Parallelus says

Regarding a BuddyPress category, I’m against it. It doesn’t make sense to me for there to be a category for a plugin, especially when there are so many plugins. This is what tags are for. I explain my full position on this here:

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/new-category-suggestion-buddypress/50831

The license question is a good one to discuss. I have had customers ask about this and I’ve told them they need to buy a license for each site (blog) they use the theme on. Which means if they allow their users to create blogs and set their own theme they need the extended license. After over 1000 sales I have zero for the extended license which simply means the license terms are not being followed. I’m interested in discussing this more.

2054 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

Here’s the “category” you requested:

http://themeforest.net/searches?term=buddypress&type=files

Why have a search if you aren’t going to use it? :P

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

Hi guys, reading the Scott Wills article on the Blog, he was wondering about the need of a BP category, in fact I said in my post “other than that”... I’m interested in the license topic :)

@parallelus That’s a sign, but obviusly not everybody that bought your theme was interested in the BP integration, but I guess many were… so, we should think about this.

Parker

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says
LandonWilson said
Here’s the “category” you requested: http://themeforest.net/searches?term=buddypress&type=files Why have a search if you aren’t going to use it? :P

You’ve read another message, not mine… becuase I never asked anything like that, but maybe my post wasn’t clear :)

• Exclusive Author
+5 more
Parallelus says
ParkerAndKent said
@parallelus That’s a sign, but obviusly not everybody that bought your theme was interested in the BP integration, but I guess many were… so, we should think about this. Parker

I would say a large percentage of my customers are using the BP integration with Salutation because most of my support requests are BP related. I’ve personally seen hundreds of BP installs while I have not been making a point of looking, I did see many with user created blogs enabled. That means there are probably hundreds of sites not following the license terms.

I think it is definitely a topic needing discussion. I do understand that the extended license is much more than many users can or will pay, however I think there is a place for a BuddyPress specific “Limited Network” license that could allow for up to 35 uses of the theme on a single network install. Instead of the current 50 times the cost of the Regular license for the Extended license this could be priced at 25 times the Regular license? I’m just throwing these numbers out. My thinking is 25 x $50 = $1250 or half the cost of the Extended license. This is a good price for small network sites or those just getting started. As they grow they can purchase a second Limited Network license, or buy the Extended license depending on their needs.

These are just ideas. I think we really need to discuss this because it’s an obvious issue. I do not want to do this, but I have given consideration to putting a feature in my theme that disables the BuddyPress option to allow user created blogs. It’s certainly possible to do this and could even be setup to require a license code be entered which could verfiy the Extended license prior to enabling the feature. Obviously this would be easy to bypass, but it would bring awareness to the issue and inform the huge number of users that have no idea an Extended license is even necessary. I still encounter users that do not know they need to buy a second license for a second website. This happens on a weekly basis and I believe it’s an educational issue, not doing a good enough job of educating the buyer of what their license allows when then make a purchase.

Well, there is certainly a lot to discuss related to this issue. I hope we can keep it positive and look at this as an opportunity to bring added benefit to buyers and authors by offering a range of options for needs and different budgets.

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

^ I agree.

What I think is that if on CC with files that cost 5$ the EL is around 5x, it should be the same here. Especially considering that the EL of CC files can be used for resale on TF! :)

I mean why asking 50x if then the cost isn’t anymore stock looking? 2000/2500$ are a big deal for everybody that usually buy here, I think TF should review this.

I tried the good feeling of selling some EL here, but that’s an event I’m not sure will happen again.

Personally, being very interested in developing BP or MU themes in general, I would be very happy to get a 5x from many users than 1 50X each 2000 sales.

I think that lowering the EL cost, especially here on TF where themes costs more than CC files, would bring much more business for us and make the MU oriented themes a real option for buyers.

I’m pretty sure that if you tell your buyers that they need to pay 50x to use multi user they would run away, while a 5x option wouldn’t be so scary almost to everybody, so make the calculations of how much more money you can make with MU themes.

My 2c,

Parker

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

And for the envato staff, the parallelus report of 0/1000+ EL sales should be the def sign about the urgent need of a review of the EL terms. Especially for themes that are based on this concept of multi user / multi blog.

Locking the theme is not an option for this as it isn’t for piracy too.

Parker

6 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
traveljunks says

I’m currently looking for a community plugin for my wp site. So if I buy one of the bp ready themes on Themeforest, the number of members doesn’t matter for a non extended licence, as long I don’t enable the blog option?

You sure have a point, but I guess most buyers will say they only use the template once, on one domain, and that’s why they don’t need to buy the extended licence.

For me this wasn’t clear eather till now. Most because of the “one domain licence explanation understanding” from my side.

• Exclusive Author
+5 more
Parallelus says
traveljunks said
I’m currently looking for a community plugin for my wp site. So if I buy one of the bp ready themes on Themeforest, the number of members doesn’t matter for a non extended licence, as long I don’t enable the blog option?

You sure have a point, but I guess most buyers will say they only use the template once, on one domain, and that’s why they don’t need to buy the extended licence.

For me this wasn’t clear eather till now. Most because of the “one domain licence explanation understanding” from my side.

There’s not a restriction on using the theme based on number of users. A Standard license covers unlimited users because it’s based on number of uses, not number of users. There’s no problem activating the blogs feature of BuddyPress, so long as you don’t make the ThemeForest purchased theme available for users to enable. This is something you can control from the Network admin, choosing which themes are enabled for which sites. It’s actually a powerful tool and should provide the ability to use all the WP and BP functionality without breaking the license terms. If you did want to let your users enable the theme, the Extended license would be the way to go.

I think you are correct that most buyers aren’t aware or don’t know the license terms and I completely understand the confusion. To be honest, I just want to make themes that people can use and help make their job easier. That’s my goal and dealing with the licensing, selling and advertising is not something I want to be doing. That’s why I sell my work through ThemeForest so they can do these things for me.

After giving this a bit more thought, I wonder if the solution might be a “Single Domain” license that falls somewhere between the Standard and Extended price. Letting buyers have unlimited use for 1 domain. This would cover the WordPress Network and BuddyPress user created blogs and make life a lot easier. I want to find a way to make the license process easy to understand and give buyers the right product for their needs.

I’m sure Envato is not only aware but probably discussed this topic many times in the past. If it’s not being worked on right now, I have no doubt it’s on the agenda . These guys are usually 2 steps ahead and I’ve been impressed by their forward thinking business style, solving problems before they become a major issue.

by
by
by
by
by
by