2952 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says

I’m sure you guy notice the new construction page category.

The first item posted there sell like hot cakes. Wich is really scary.

Another bad decision from envato , who keep taking away some precious home page time for our theme , by adding some category that are not ’’theme’’ at all.

For those who think I complain all the time .. I don’t care honnestly. I worked 3 week on a theme that sold 30 times while on the home page , and suddenly dropped to 1 sales / days when it wasn’t there .. I had 2 days on the homepage :)

Now .. everybody will design his own ’’construction page’’ theme , or error 404 wich is pretty normal because it take no time , it sell half the price of my theme but have 5 less pages .. :) And it sell like crazy ..

How many days will we have on the homepage ? 1/2 day ? .. 2 hours ? ..

This is honnestly disrespectful for the author that doesn’t want to do script , or construction pages .. you know ? author that just want to work 3 weeks on a theme .. and then have 5 days on the homepage .. a little bit of visibility for hard work , is that too much to ask ?

Now I hear you saying : Oh but you just have to make some nice theme like Kriesi and Epicera , they sell a ton even if they have only 2 days on the homepage .. true

But they make theme for a long time now , people follow them , look if they have new stuff , read their blog .. etc etc ..

I don’t know if i’m clear here .. but i’m really disappointed.

342 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
reidknorr says

Well first off let me tell you that I am the co-author of that first theme in that category. That being said… I understand where you are coming from, but we have to deal with the same stuff on our other types of files as well. The new file I put up yesterday has plenty of time spent on it too. You must keep in mind every file takes hours of work. We have several wordpress themes on the way that we’ve spent MONTHS developing. I simply cannot control how much time my item will get on the homepage, its just how it is.

I know that Envato has taken note of the files being displayed less on the homepage but really it all comes down to one reason. Themeforest is much busier than it used to be. If you build a popular theme it’ll get noticed in the popular tab, and get sales because it deserves them. Everyone is in the same boat, even authors like me.

415 posts
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
osigrandi says

Dany, I’m not a big fan of the recent changes on TF either. People are either going to start leaving OR start designing more of the items from the categories which sell best..which will eventually lead to supra-saturation, which in turn will lead to fewer overall sales and less money for Envato

...OR everything will magically balance out in the end and everyone will be happy, which I highly doubt.

I’ve seen several topics similar to this the past few weeks and it seems that Envato management is politely ignoring them or not ignoring them, but waiting for more serious reasons for concern.

So I guess in the meantime, we’ll have to wait and see how all these new changes pan out.

Your message was a bit too bitter…not sure if that benefits anyone. But I do understand you..for instance I have a WP theme coming up and I’ve worked on it for god knows how long…3-4 weeks maybe?

I have absolutely no idea if it will sell well or not. It’s a risk I assumed and business usually implies some degree of risk.

3184 posts
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a competition
+15 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Not sure there is enough room on the home page for every new theme to display for 5 days?

21 boxes on the home page. 5 days = only room for 4’ish new items per day?

how many new themes are uploaded a day?

I think the developers are working on some sort of home page queue, where each new item will get an equal amount of exposure on the home page? So new items wont display on the home page straight away, until the others have had their equal share.

ie: if an item has displayed for 4 days, it will get removed and the next new item in the queue will take its place. this should provide an equal share of new themes in times of low upload and high upload rates.

415 posts
  • Located in Europe
+2 more
osigrandi says

I think probably from now on, items will get at most 2 days feature time on homepage. Because it’s summer and especially because it’s August, submissions seems to have been at a slower rate..and sales as well..so it’s normal they got more feature time on homepage.

5 days feature time….I don’t think that’s ever coming back.

342 posts
+5 more
reidknorr says

I am beginning to get worried that the market may eventually become too saturated but the truth is… templates get old and “wear” out. The real money is in the highest quality themes. If you have a really high quality theme then you can set yourself apart.

415 posts
  • Located in Europe
+2 more
osigrandi says
I am beginning to get worried that the market may eventually become too saturated

I think the process already started…I’ve been analyzing the sales from up until a few months ago…people seemed to buy almost everything like crazy.

I still really hope summer’s to blame for all of this though…fingers crossed.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Hey guys,

For those of you who are disappointed with the decision to add this category, I very respectfully recommend getting over it and start working with the system instead of against it (complaining). These decisions have proven to be good because they’ve been successful for both envato and our authors.

It’s simple, businesses change and things evolve. Theme Forest started as a place for templates and themes (which these specialty pages still fit into) and has grown to encompass a little more (scripts, etc.). These categories are proving to be quite successful, which is GOOD for all of us. In my opinion Theme Forest is more of a marketplace for web solutions than strictly templates and themes.

For those of you concerned about the time your item spends on the home page, as we’ve said in prior threads, the appropriate people have taken note of this. If changes are going to happen, they won’t happen right away. Plus, a marketplace redesign is on the way as you all know. So just be patient and try to avoid making posts every day about issues that everyone is already aware of. It just brings a negative vibe to the forum which isn’t fun for anyone.

Also, as I’ve said before, the busier Theme Forest gets from new item submissions, the less time items will spend on the home page. This is a fact that everyone is going to have to come to terms with.

- -

Anyway, one final thought I’d like to share is that it’s important for authors interested in making money to recognize supply and demand. Successful businesses do it, Envato does it (thus the new categories) and TF authors who are in it more for the money will want to do it as well. This new category has the demand, so let’s supply shall we? ;-)

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says
I am beginning to get worried that the market may eventually become too saturated but the truth is… templates get old and “wear” out. The real money is in the highest quality themes. If you have a really high quality theme then you can set yourself apart.

Yeah, it’s like cloths. There are styles that are “in” and they get old and people update to what’s new and hot. I’ve removed a couple of my items because of this (they were just clutter in the marketplace) and I plan on removing several more in the next month or two.

Out with the old, in with the new. :-)

2529 posts
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Hey everyone. Look for an official announcement about this new sub-category on Monday (US time). I disagree that it’s a bad decision, and I’m fairly sure that sales will prove this.

by
by
by
by
by
by