• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

@DD: Nice one! On a site where authors are trying to sell email templates, you post a link to free ones. Next up, maybe we post links to torrents with your templates in them and ask if anyone’s had a chance to download ‘em ;) As you’ve lectured a number of people for breaking forum etiquette, I’m pretty sure you know this wasn’t the brightest idea dude.

In response though: I can’t speak for the other authors, but I definitely checked out a bunch of the free templates out there before going to work on mine just to determine what would set a “premium” template apart from a free one. This is actually the same process I go through with any new template that I work on. Check what’s available already, then innovate beyond it. Just like any other free content on the web, there’s a limit to what you get and how much work you have to do to actually use it.

My conclusions: style, ease of use, documentation, and the ability to quickly customize are really what should be setting the two apart. In my templates I’ve included a number of things that weren’t found in any of the open source templates out there, which in my opinion, definitely sets mine apart from anything else available out there. The basic layout of an email template is always going to be similar since you’re dealing with fixed widths in most cases and a fixed set of rules for what can and can’t be done – it’s how you bring your own style to the mix that should set these apart. I haven’t actually bought the other author’s templates yet, but I’d guess that most of these features should be the bar set for acceptance into this category. The site admin’s will definitely have to chime in on what’s the official word though.

2952 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

@epicera: Nice sale pitch !

Why are you on your defense mode ?

I didn’t blame you to use that .. I just wanted to share some ressources , like you did.

I tought that it could be a good starting point to anybody who want to do an email theme.

Did you use them ?

4264 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Community Moderator
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Venezuela
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
+9 more
Ivor Reviewer says

Nice link Dany – Thanks a lot :)

2952 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says
Nice link Dany – Thanks a lot :)

No problem ! :)

1417 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+10 more
kailoon Reviewer says

Talking about email template. I just received an offer recently about creating newsletter for a website consistently, every month.

Scenario: their designer just leave, so they need someone to take care of the newsletter and some banner design job. Since it is a contract based job, I offer a discount of my hour rate. But still, it is higher than what they are paying, like double :P Well, I think you know why it was under-priced before this, its like a kid job.

They asked me to create a test mock, based on what they are having now and related to their website. Hmm.. their website, imagine something with pink, table, boxes etc etc. So, I try my best and polish their existing newsletter design, add some vector image etc.

Their feedback: We think the result is not worth what we are paying. So, please send us the invoice for the test.

My respond: Its ok, since you don’t like it, I won’t charge for it. Anyway, it is based on the standard and styling of your current website. So, it will not look very awesome.

LOL ! Nothing special, just to share my experience since it is related to email templates :P

960 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
jeffeatworld says

Here’s a super resource for all you HTML E -Mail Ninjas – I found it really handy, although I’m still having issues with Hotmail displaying background colors? Anyone have any ideas?

1561 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
contempoinc says

Just got my first accepted :)

2952 posts