• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+8 more
JeffreyWay Moderator says

Hey guys. Just a note that I’m still in need of some high quality email template seed content for this new category. Please leave a comment with a link to a sample of your work, and we’ll talk compensation. :)

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

I believe the general thought was at the expected price point no one could afford to build and test email templates to ensure email client compatibility as per your previous thread:

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/new-email-template-category-authors-needed/14569?page=2

Did we ever get a solution to this – otherwise I think your shout-out for templates will fall on deaf ears?

Looking forward to a response.

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Blog Editor
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+8 more

We might be able to come to some arrangement in the future for email testing. But at the moment, I’m looking for those who create these kinds of templates for a living – and have access to such testing tools.

2529 posts
  • Blog Editor
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+8 more

To some extent, that’s equivalent to saying that we should be providing testing tools (granted, they’re free – but same idea) for site templates. It’s not really our job. :) But maybe I’m off base to think so.

• Elite Author
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

I do create email templates for a living :) Several every week actually and send campaigns for many clients to many thousands of legit subscribers, but testing is an expensive process (and time consuming) – there are no free testing sites available (that I know of) unlike browsers which are all free.

Lowest price is with campaignmonitor using their setup via a 3rd party company – $5 per test and can literally take 3 days :)

Testing has to be done on every template (unless you create a single template and just change the colors / fonts and graphics) – which, I am sure is not what TF wants – 300 templates all the same layout / design.

921 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
I do create email templates for a living :) Several every week actually and send campaigns for many clients to many thousands of legit subscribers, but testing is an expensive process (and time consuming) – there are no free testing sites available (that I know of) unlike browsers which are all free.

Lowest price is with campaignmonitor using their setup via a 3rd party company – $5 per test and can literally take 3 days :)

Testing has to be done on every template (unless you create a single template and just change the colors / fonts and graphics) – which, I am sure is not what TF wants – 300 templates all the same layout / design.

Not sure if you guys use or have checked out LitmusApp – but it’s worth investigating as it runs tests across all major inbox software and spits out results within minutes: http://litmusapp.com/

2529 posts
  • Blog Editor
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+8 more

Actually – our reviewer will be using that app to verify compliance. :)

• Elite Author
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

This is actually the one being used by campaignmonitor since earlier this year.

http://litmusapp.com/blog/campaign-monitor-partnership

However using the litmusapp website you would need the $49 p/month plan if doing repeated email campaigns which is a heavy cost to incur when selling low cost templates. Unless you create 10 templates per month and only test once that would be a fixed cost of around $5 per template (same as testing directly thru campaignmonitor and not having to subscribe)

So no clear winner there really…

I’m sure Envato could strike up a similar (or better) deal with the litmus guys – they are always looking for partnerships. Good exposure for both companies.

I’m very interested in this category though and so I will enjoy watching it come to fruition – I may then dip my toe in the water.

12 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
rochow says

------

I’m not sure what the hell you’re coding, but no email newsletter has taken me more than a day… and I’ve done some HUGE email newsletters (nothing generic that you’d be able to sell on TF – which is what would be needed here, and looking at 1-2 hour mark).

I think the main problem is that its mainly coders who code, and designers who design. In order to make a “complete template”, most people would have to partner up, as the % of people who can design nicely and also code something legible that works within a decent timeframe is restricting. The whole partnership thing would make life harder, plus how do coders trust the designer to pay them 50% or whatever. Perhaps starting with email newsletters PSDs, then if authors can find a coder they can partner and release a full version, could be the simpler way to “test the waters”.

• Elite Author
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

------

I’m not sure what the hell you’re coding, but no email newsletter has taken me more than a day… and I’ve done some HUGE email newsletters (nothing generic that you’d be able to sell on TF – which is what would be needed here, and looking at 1-2 hour mark).

I think the main problem is that its mainly coders who code, and designers who design. In order to make a “complete template”, most people would have to partner up, as the % of people who can design nicely and also code something legible that works within a decent timeframe is restricting. The whole partnership thing would make life harder, plus how do coders trust the designer to pay them 50% or whatever. Perhaps starting with email newsletters PSDs, then if authors can find a coder they can partner and release a full version, could be the simpler way to “test the waters”.

You totally misread what I was saying – I was not saying it takes 3 days to create a template but to test.

by
by
by
by
by
by