733 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Won a competition
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
TimMcMorris says

I’ve been an author for a little while now, and have always wondered in the back of my mind if there would be a point where there exclusive portfolios / authors percentage should be raised (as well as the non-exclusive rates actually).

There is without a doubt a lot of exposure that is given being on the marketplaces, and the tiered system has been pretty fair I believe – however with new growth and new sales barriers being smashed all the time, do you think it’s time to raise the max limit to 80% for exclusive and industry standard for non-exclusive?

When an author first starts out, they have to climb the ranks just like everyone else. When you start selling massive amounts of files like the very top ThemeForest authors for example, the attention the authors are attracting is almost more of an asset to Envato now and the tables are switched.

Many, many authors have worked incredibly hard and have invested into the Envato network just as if they owned the company. I personally think it’s time for another percentage range. Maybe this could be tied into an additional benefit of the Elite Author program, even if reaching the 80% point means selling 1M. Maybe it will take quite some time, but you can do so knowing you’re working toward a brighter future.

What do you guys think?

2268 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

I agree 100% with what you are saying but I can also see this from the opposite side and the first thing that’s an issue is the affiliate program percentage on top of 80% would be over 100% – therefore that would cost Envato money.

I think more importantly Elite authors need SOME benefits – right now everything has been removed basically – there are no further incentives – they should start to be more creative and let authors have benefits on top of the current 70% percentage top barrier. Price adjustments, instant updates (no reviews), advertising budgets etc

Just some ideas for discussion and thoughts.

Jonathan

1772 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

I totally agree.

438 posts here for love
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
nCrafts says

I agree 100% with what you are saying but I can also see this from the opposite side and the first thing that’s an issue is the affiliate program percentage on top of 80% would be over 100% – therefore that would cost Envato money.

I think more importantly Elite authors need SOME benefits – right now everything has been removed basically – there are no further incentives – they should start to be more creative and let authors have benefits on top of the current 70% percentage top barrier. Price adjustments, instant updates (no reviews), advertising budgets etc

Just some ideas for discussion and thoughts.

Jonathan

Correct – I don’t see Envato going above 70%. Not practically possible.

1445 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
+3 more
WebSmacker says

... even if reaching the 80% point means selling 1M. Maybe it will take quite some time, but you can do so knowing your working toward a brighter future. What do you guys think?

Let me guess, you are at $999,999 in sales? LOL j/k

I agree that Elite authors should get more perks, like a higher percentage.

327 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
TimOstanin says

Hey Tim! Maybe we must change prices ? but not percentage

2351 posts Small, but tough
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

I dont agree. If you look at other companies %, envato is more than fair in theirs. As for elite options and price increase, thats another topic.

752 posts
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
+7 more
EladChai says

IMO I think the current rates are very high (for the benefit of Envato).

Even Apple that is known for taking a big cut from the appstore, etc.. is only taking 25%-30% cut.

In Envato you start with 50% and can move on to 70% while at the appstore you start from 70%-75% – These rates are pretty normal around the globe and not only at apple. In other words, Envato makes a lot of profit out of the authors and I think this needs a big change.

They should make it at least 70% for all authors.

36 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
Jaegers says

IMO Envato should remove such a term as Elite. It does not proof author skills, like some people (buyers) may think.

1445 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
+3 more
WebSmacker says

IMO Envato should remove such a term as Elite. It does not proof author skills, like some people (buyers) may think.

I disagree. Elite authors bring in a lot of sales and exposure, which helps bring authors like us sales too. Why shouldn’t they get Elite status?

by
by
by
by
by
by