1460 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
WebSmacker says

I continue to think that the markteplace should be “cleaned up” of very old items that does not sell. If an item is not selling since 1 year (or more, maybe depending also on the previous sales) then it should be removed. Of course the author could upload it again, but this will clean up envato from a lot of “useless” items. for exampe, if you look at audiojungle music items, order them by date, you see songs uploaded in 2006-2007 with 0-2 sales. is this reasonable? don’t know about other marketplaces…

+1 If an item hasn’t had any sales in months, then it is probably costing Envato more to host the files then they are making from it. Also might motivate the authors to market their items a little better if they know it will get removed.

2173 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

I continue to think that the markteplace should be “cleaned up” of very old items that does not sell. If an item is not selling since 1 year (or more, maybe depending also on the previous sales) then it should be removed. Of course the author could upload it again, but this will clean up envato from a lot of “useless” items. for exampe, if you look at audiojungle music items, order them by date, you see songs uploaded in 2006-2007 with 0-2 sales. is this reasonable? don’t know about other marketplaces…
+1 If an item hasn’t had any sales in months, then it is probably costing Envato more to host the files then they are making from it. Also might motivate the authors to market their items a little better if they know it will get removed.

It’s interesting how this thread has changed it’s course a couple of times so far on these 8 pages :)

But, while we’re (again) at the topic of deleting the old files automatically, let me share my input on this. You say “it is probably costing Envato more to host the files then they are making from it”. I’d say that it actually would cost more to delete them, than keep them. Not exactly sure how Amazon’s hosting service works, but I’m confident claiming that it’s not charged per megabyte used. They pay for the large “chunks” of data and they use it, fill it. They pay it whether it’s used or not.
On the other hand, apart from losing potential occasional sales (1 in a year is still better than 0, isn’t it?), just think what potential customers (and new authors) will think when they come to audio jungle (after deleting the files with 0 sales) and see how this marketplace has 5000 tracks instead of 20000 it used to have? Returning visitors would be confused. New ones would be disappointed and repelled by lame offer.

What causes so many old tracks with zero sales (apart from low production quality, which is definitely present in certain amount) is a lack of good/advanced search tools. Instead of crying at the mayor to tear down buildings that nobody want’s to live in, ask for a better map first and less promotion focus on only one quart of the city. Speaking metaphorically here, but you get me, I hope :D

Now…what was this topic all about to begin with? :D:P

735 posts Plastic it's fantastic:))
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
plastic3 says
What causes so many old tracks with zero sales (apart from low production quality, which is definitely present in certain amount) is a lack of good/advanced search tools. Instead of crying at the mayor to tear down buildings that nobody want’s to live in, ask for a better map first and less promotion focus on only one quart of the city. Speaking metaphorically here, but you get me, I hope :D

Now…what was this topic all about to begin with?

+1:)
13 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Europe
polymuze says

Well said! What else attracts regular sales here apart from New Items page and Top/”Elite” Authors pages with thousand followers? Do AJ’s “non-Elite” authors feel themselves “reachable” by an average buyer search on a regular basis?

6023 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Well said! What else attracts regular sales here apart from New Items page and Top/”Elite” Authors pages with thousand followers? Do AJ’s “non-Elite” authors feel themselves “reachable” by an average buyer search on a regular basis?

The same problem exists on all the Envato marketplaces. Once the item goes off from initial exposure, the only possibility is through Weekly Popular page (works only for rare files). Search doesn’t sounds like Envato’s business strategy – this is what makes the 70% author commission meaningless. Even with a 99% commission, lack of proper search filter can present the results of nearly 0% commission.

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Here’s where Envato need to take all their marketplaces as far as I am concerned (it’s a little crude and not much thought but you get the idea) -

-

Click here for full size

this will stop the desperation to be on the front page, remove all the unnecessary crap from the home page, stop focus on the all time top selling themes and put everyone on a level footing when it comes to promotion – of course this is based on an all new tag search engine that actually works – the magic comes when you get the search results – filters, display options etc.

1034 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
BenSheppard says

Here’s where Envato need to take all their marketplaces as far as I am concerned (it’s a little crude and not much thought but you get the idea) –

My god. yes.

667 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
Blinn says

Raise the current newbie rate from 50% to 70%. Go on, you know you want to. :D

639 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
Crakken says

Raise the current newbie rate from 50% to 70%. Go on, you know you want to. :D

Haha ;)

748 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
guitarjock says

Just put your heart into to what you are creating and the rest will take care of itself! AJ has done a great job at making a site that draws customers and potential buyers and they deserve a decent cut of the revenue that goes into creating that marketplace. I just want to see them better the usage of that revenue to create a site that displays continuous improvement. Fix the license and search issues please. And maybe raise base prices too. It is about time.

Not to take anything away from the Elites. you guys do add a lot to the site. You are assets to AJ.

But we all could benefit from a better AJ as a whole.

by
by
by
by
by
by