• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+1 more
LCweb says

And a fresh 1 star rating for “JS bugs” on Media Grid. Well but, again, how it would be useful?
Having the ability of replying back, solving the issue would be quite easy, but.. how?

I’ll be repetitive, but is almost useless and very frustrating as is now.
For “bugs” reason is mandatory to reply back.

I received ten 5 star ratings this week for the same item, but a 1-star destroys everything. And is not fair. Now we have this new tool that could help authors to give a better service and customers to be happier.

Could..

5857 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Aaaand a fresh 1 star rating for “JS bugs” on a 5000+ sales item like Media Grid. Well but, again, how it would be useful?
Having the ability of replying back, solving the issue would be quite easy, but.. how?

I am little bit surprised about this kind of expectations from some authors. It is not buyer’s job to educate “there is a bug” in our item. They rate items so that it will help other buyer’s purchase decision. However, some buyers may have useful feedback to share with author – that’s where this rating comment helps the author. The rating they left shouldn’t make the buyer to “commit” for helping the author.

But practically (when it comes to front end code etc), there are chances for buyers mistakenly assume a bug on item. That’s not a crime – that’s a possible occurrence which may not be avoided even with communication. Sometimes, communication can make more damage than a 1 star rating! :D

Last week I received a 1 star rating with the reason “bug”. No more explanation but I am happy with that just because the reason mentioned isn’t “poor support” ;)

50 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
GreenTreeLabs says

I think there’s no much more Envato can do about this topic. After all, look also the reviews of Amazon products, they never have only 4 or 5 stars, there is always a statistical deviance from the average.

The final user, the customer, knows about that and he/she looks the average rating.

336 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Romania
QBKL says

Last week I received a 1 star rating with the reason “bug”. No more explanation but I am happy with that just because the reason mentioned isn’t “poor support” ;)

Totally feeling you. We had a 1 star rating based on “Customer support”, which turned out to be a misunderstanding on both parts and the whole situation turned out great in the end with buyer changing their rating to 5 stars, still because of “customer support”.

You are completely right and this is the field where we should focus our attention, rather than random 1 stars for fictive bugs. Users see through those ratings the real value. No one will care about two 1 star ratings when there are 20 of 5 stars and 10 of 4 stars.

427 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
Jaynesh says

From an authors perspective, being able to contact the buyer for every review seems like a good idea however from a buyers perspective this wouldn’t be a very good idea as it could get a little heated and chaotic.

I think adding this at the bottom would be a better idea.

1202 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
ImanGM says

From an authors perspective, being able to contact the buyer for every review seems like a good idea however from a buyers perspective this wouldn’t be a very good idea as it could get a little heated and chaotic.

+1

484 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
+1 more
omarabid says

is it possible that envato gets involved for some ratings. here is one I received today

Rating: 1 stars Reason: Other Comment: it wouldn’t let me upload the plug in.

Seriously? The customer didn’t even contact me about the issue. He probably tried to upload the whole package instead of extracting it and uploading just the plugin.

As some have already mentioned, it’s much worse than before. Those who will rate 1 star will do it anyway for whatever reason.

50 posts
  • Italy
  • Exclusive Author
GreenTreeLabs says

When I proposed this system I thought to force the user to add a comment along with a low rating so the author could eventually ask Envato to remove the rating if the reason had been inconsistent or too vague.

If we have not the ability to do that then I’m agree it’s totally useless having reviews, it’s even worst because the user has now the power to sully the item without the response of the author.

25 posts
  • Exclusive Author
itthinx says

@envato May I suggest we have reviews reviewed by Envato staff? We do have plugins reviewed already before they are admitted to the marketplaces. Having reviews checked would help to have at least a degree of quality in the reviews that authors get. From many of the comments that have been posted here, my impression is that there is a lack of arbitration related to the reviews.

2145 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Germany
+3 more
Creattive says

-1, better make it a button that says “contact me via mail WHEN the author comments this review.

The author should be able to comment on a review here on the marketplaces. contacting the buyer is not necessary and only gives us all headaches because we need to respect the privacy of buyers. Just give us the chance to write an answer that the user can view in his dashboard, like a comment, everything would be fine.

The buyer doesn’t need to allow us to reply to his comment, why should he have to with reviews.

by
by
by
by
by
by