• Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

@EladChai

So what do you propose ?

People cannot rate an item unless it is worthy of 5 stars ? Or lower than 5 stars and the aggregate score is unaffected

Its ratings, this is how they work.
\\

Clearly you did not understand my point at all.

Try reading again, slowly. Thanks.

I read it carefully. If you put yourself and your products in the public realm, and a system of rating is in progress. Then you as does everyone, fall under the single remit of how a rating system works.

Arguing about the semantics and hoping that people will rate rationally is just never gonna happen. The fact is people on the whole buying your service/products do not have the same skill level as you. Thus the fact you get 5 stars could arbitrarily be argued in similar fashion to one star ratings, in fact moreso. As most buyers will just click 5 stars if something works, or looks good. But that actually isnt reflective of the basis that its actually any good, is coded well, designed well etc.

So a person voting 1 star , is just that. Its either someone who failed to “get it” , didnt feel it measured in reality against what they perceived it to be, or other contributory factors.

However posting an image with the word NOOB on it, and then another in reply to my previous post, face palming, kind of sums up your threshold for rationale.

But hey ho thats life. Some get the democratic process, others ( pointing no fingers ) would adopt a more totalitareate approach.

3058 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
wickedpixel says

Hm, I think @Australia gives 1Star ratings. :D

5085 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

Hm, I think @Australia gives 1Star ratings. :D

I actually have done, and if you feel the need ask a mod to reveal how many items I have bought and my ratings. On the whole I adopt the “rate 5 stars or dont rate at all” attitude.

I have posted on this prolifically on the forums, and suggested many times that a LIKE type system be instilled. As ratings should either be, Positive or nothing at all. As a no rating could be argued as being as bad as a 1 star rating.

So just a bloody simple, positive rating or no rating would work far better for all concerned. If item has no rating, then people have to measure the products usefulness and value based on comments , or if it has 12 positive ratings then its safe to say others have had a positive experience.

However Envato works within a ratings system of 0 – 5 stars ( 0 not being recorded publically ) obviously. So you have to take it on the chin.

I mean if an item has 1000 sales and only 28 ratings one could argue it has an unbalanced leverage of 972 no-votes, which in reality is bad !

A very good mate of mine has a wicked restaurant, and suffers across all major platforms from negative ratings and reviews, which he finds exhausting to manage and keep up with.

But anyway.

36 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
alcalbg says

This is how one major freelance site is doing their rating score / feedback calculation:

The feedback system weights your overall feedback score by the net dollar value of each contract. The net dollar value equals the total payment, minus any refunded payments. If the other user did not give you a feedback score, the contract is excluded from the calculation. Example: A contractor has a $1000 contract with 5 stars, a $200 contract with 1 star and a $50 contract with no feedback. The overall feedback score would be 4.33.

1. no feedback = no score 2. refund = no score

Of course, refund in not an option here but some kind of feedback can be implemented.

947 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
mudi says

Greate feature.

Something I noticed on some of my items:

When I check out my 4.5-5 star rated items, there is a single buyer who rated 1 or 2 stars and I ask myself why do I need to suffer this low rating because a total noob purchased one of my items and had no clue how to edit it eventhough it’s 100% simple and organized and didn’t even bother to ask for help. Just shows that there are people with zero (0) knowledge in photoshop that I prefer they stay out of my portfolio. Just ain’t worth the purchase.

This can hurt sales especially for items with only few ratings (+3), for example:

\\

XD

Thanks for this rating system :)

688 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
EladChai says

if the item deserved a 1 star, I would have no problem at all.

BUT, when everything is so clear in the preview image, in the item description, also in the help file included in the download folder with easy 1-2-3 steps instructions, even the most noob buyer will understand (believe me).

The item is a mockup with a 1-click smart object so there is no way to get this wrong, it is so OBV that the buyer tried to harm my item.

5085 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

if the item was deserved a 1 star, I would have no problem at all.

BUT, when everything is so clear in the item description, also in the help file included in the download folder with easy 1-2-3 steps instructions, even the most noob buyer will understand (believe me).

The item is a mockup with a 1-Click smart object, it is so OBV that the buyer tried to harm my item.

I understand and it must be so frustrating. But Envato, really dont adopt the system well in my opinion. But its the system of choice that they have created.

On our main site ( I employed a different type of rating system, where we HAD to create analogue values against marked factors ) reflecting a “mean” score.

Example below:

Until Envato begin protecting authors, its never gonna change.

688 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
EladChai says

if the item was deserved a 1 star, I would have no problem at all.

BUT, when everything is so clear in the item description, also in the help file included in the download folder with easy 1-2-3 steps instructions, even the most noob buyer will understand (believe me).

The item is a mockup with a 1-Click smart object, it is so OBV that the buyer tried to harm my item.

I understand and it must be so frustrating. But Envato, really dont adopt the system well in my opinion. But its the system of choice that they have created.

On our main site ( I employed a different type of rating system, where we HAD to create analogue values against marked factors ) reflecting a “mean” score.

Example below:

Until Envato begin protecting authors, its never gonna change.

Hi Australia,

Just to show you how easy it is to rate 1 star.

These comments are from the same item I was talking about.

\\

The buyer was in such a rush to comment that the item isn’t working instead of taking a minute to breath.

5085 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

I would be banging my head on the desk.

But unfortunately this is what you deal with.

Many years ago, we ran a competition to win a room full of hardwood flooring. On the competition ( we were advised to adopt the KISS method ) so we added ONE question. Question: If you won the comp, which floor would you have done ?

Lady phoned our office and said she is stuck on the tiebreaker question.

1238 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
graphic4444 says

nice job on this, I like the additional detail in ratings, that looks like a step in the right direction

by
by
by
by
by
by