• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Interesting how 5 stars and 1 star is the most popular rating… I think this system is a bit silly, I mean it’s pretty obvious some buyers are voting 1 star out of spite if the majority of ratings are high.

206 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Argentina
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
SurStudio says

Interesting how 5 stars and 1 star is the most popular rating… I think this system is a bit silly, I mean it’s pretty obvious some buyers are voting 1 star out of spite if the majority of ratings are high.

+1

1373 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

Guys, guys… This is how all the market business works everywhere. No matters what you sell or what service you do. When i was kid, we had melones and i had to sell the fruit on the street and small market. It’s funny how similar was it. 100 satisfied buyer found the melone sweet and good but there was always some “professional” complainers. When i was talking with our competitor who was also selling melone in the same place, we can recognise them by each other’s descriptions. “Ah h.. you talking about the that purple hair old lady with her moron puppy? LOL i know her” Those people just like that. F* knows, maybe their lack of sex, unsatisfied with their life, they got childhood trauma or whatever. They are just like this. Or go and talk with somebody who running a restaurant. They will tell you the same. There are always complainers even if you serve your own heart on the plate, because that’s their standard behaviour. BUT! Never start argue, make trouble with them, you can not shout with them, otherwise you gonna make more damage on your own business. Forget your ego, be humble, and swallow all those shit with a real smile on your face, even if its hard, i know. You chose this, opened a market, and this is how this business works, and as you can see, we all share this phenomena, so you are not alone. Guys, most of the buyers they know it, just like you, those 1star ratings are irrelevants. And does not affects badly your sales if you have 5stars principally. Be calm, be cool, dont let yourself provoked. And even the buyer leaves adverse comments, be nice with him and helpful even if its hard, i know. Because other buyers see those comments as well.

614 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Typps says

@dekurvajo, great post, I’m in agreement. The best way to handle oneself is to adopt “the customer is always right” attitude and keep moving forward.

364 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
musicguy says

Finally better rating system, thanks Envato! :)

195 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
filmTones says

Guys, guys… This is how all the market business works everywhere. No matters what you sell or what service you do.
Thanks for that post dekurvajo! very helpful to remember to keep things in perspective. I know I myself can be very thin skinned when it comes to anything less than a 5 star rating, but it’s better to accept it, let it go and move on.
63 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
daext says

I don’t like very much this new feature, in my opinion may affect the perceived quality of the products in a negative manner, but this is only my opinion and all the users are different.

575 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

Good work Envato!

As said before — if my item went from 5-star average to 4.5 average (it did: 4.62) — I’m fine with this. It’s more accurate, and I’d rather buyers see a breakdown of ratings.

Suggestion: Don’t truncate significant digits from numerical averages. Currently I’m a 4.62, but I see others listed like 4.6. This should be displayed as 4.60. This tells the user more about the granularity of the rating. It should be consistent instead of truncating zeros.

243 posts JoomFX.com
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bulgaria
joomfx says

Thanks for this improvement Envato (and especially you dear devs :) ). I read almost all of the comments and decided to give my advices as well :P

First of all, a Toggle Option will be great. Currently the ratings take too much space and as somebody said earlier in the post more important information is pushed away. Also, it doesn’t look very nice if it is expanded by default.

Now, regarding the comments when a customer tries to give a bad rating (I assume bad rating is 1, 2 and 3 starts) – one of the devs wrote that this is the next thing that will be done. I just want to suggest something:

1. Let’s suppose a customer tries to give a 1 star rating to an item
    2. He will be asked to submit a comment/reason for this
    3. So my actual suggestion is, authors to be able to see the user (username) of this customer
    4. The authors can contact the customer via his profile page.
    5. Then the author and the customer will discuss (via email) whats wrong
    6. Then the author solves the “issue” (if it is not a customization request of course) and the customer changes the rating from 1 star to 5 stars :)

I’m just trying to say that we need some options to communicate with the unhappy customers so we can try to change their decision – that’s how both sides will be happy :)

206 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
SurStudio says

Thanks for this improvement Envato (and especially you dear devs :) ). I read almost all of the comments and decided to give my advices as well :P

First of all, a Toggle Option will be great. Currently the ratings take too much space and as somebody said earlier in the post more important information is pushed away. Also, it doesn’t look very nice if it is expanded by default.

Now, regarding the comments when a customer tries to give a bad rating (I assume bad rating is 1, 2 and 3 starts) – one of the devs wrote that this is the next thing that will be done. I just want to suggest something:

1. Let’s suppose a customer tried to give a 1 star rating to an item
    2. He will be asked to submit a comment/reason for this
    3. So my actual suggestion is, authors to be able to see the user (username) of this customer
    4. The authors can contact the customer via his profile page.
    5. Then the author and the customer will discuss (via email) whats wrong
    6. Then authors solved the “issue” (if it is not a customization request of course) and the customer changes the rating from 1 star to 5 stars :)
I’m just trying to say that we need some option to communication with the unhappy customers so we can try to change their decision – that’s how both sides will be happy :)

I think your intentions are good, however:

1. Only authors can receive messages through the profile page. Customers don’t have the form.
  2. If it’s something private, unhappy customers might not reply never ever.
  3. In the meantime, prospective buyers see a 1 star unjustified rating.

This sounds very complicated compared to adding a simple comment field along with the rating, like other marketplaces are doing.

by
by
by
by
by
by