468 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
justinfrench Dev says

At least allow us to decide if we want to display the ratings breakdown or not on our items. This breakdown is a feature that wasn’t there before signing up as an author, hence the least i’d expect is a cop out option.

Would you want to opt-in to (or opt-out of) all new features, or only the ones you disagree with? :)

It’s our job to make the best decisions we can to move the entire platform forward. Our plan this year is to make many changes across the entire platform to improve the overall user experience in an incremental way — make a move to address a pain point or a need we’ve identified, measure the impact (both through feedback and through data), and then plan our next move.

Not every single change will please every single author (of course), and we’ll likely have to correct our course a few times, but the sum of all these changes should be positive overall. We’re listening and monitoring carefully.

Right now, even if there was a genuine reason for receiving a 1star rating, after having fixed the issue that caused the negative rating, it will always show in the breakdown regardless. This wasn’t the case earlier. Earlier, if an item had a negative, through hard work, one had the possibility to bring this back up. Now, even if you bring it up, it will always show in the breakdown. I don’t need it there if whatever issue that caused the negative rating is fixed.

I mostly agree with you. The “irrelevant” 1 star rating always contributed to the average, but the impact was less visible on an item with many ratings.

Different authors have different perspectives on the breakdown — some view it as a positive step, others a negative. Both are valid, but I think the root problem to address is relevancy. Examples of irrelevant ratings might include “a really bad rating because of a bug that’s now fixed”, or “a really good rating based on something like free customisations which other buyers don’t expect”.

Right now, we believe there’s definitely some irrelevant ratings, we’re gathering data to back that up, combined with buyer and author research. This will help us with plans to improve the relevancy going forward, and maybe to “fix” existing data. Most of the solutions we’re considering have been discussed or suggested many times over in this thread and my original announcement.

468 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
justinfrench Dev says

The most important part for any item is branding. Authors work hard to build a reputation, and we want customers to recognize our brand the moment they land on one of our items. Because of this, the first piece of content shown should always be the avatar box.

Showing the number of sales is the second most important part of selling an item. When customers see the total sales number, they’re instantly shown how popular the product is.

Next up: RATINGS :) This information is much more relevant now that the customer already knows the total number of sales.

Comments are important as customers can click the button and view support quality. If they’re grouped with total sales then there’s no need to separate them. But for the sake of this list, they’re second to last in the order of importance.

Last up, social buttons. Sharing is caring, but when it comes to selling items, all the above items take priority.

Yep, that’s roughly where we’re headed :)

468 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
justinfrench Dev says

i had some 5 stars ratings (maybe 9) with this item Gypsy jazz for Nina [link removed] that desappeared since the new rating system… is there some way to check that and get them back ??

When did they disappear? How did you know you had 5 — did you see them in the breakdown and they’ve now since been removed?

34 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Envato Developer
jordan-lewis Dev says

Hi Everyone,

Just an update that after reviewing all the feedback regarding the recently introduced ‘Ratings Breakdown’, we have updated the order of the boxes in the item sidebar.

Jordan

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

Hi Everyone,

Just an update that after reviewing all the feedback regarding the recently introduced ‘Ratings Breakdown’, we have updated the order of the boxes in the item sidebar.

Jordan

Awesome thanks Jordan! And thanks again to everyone involved with making this new ratings feature happen :)

7177 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

awesome!

614 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Typps says

Would you want to opt-in to (or opt-out of) all new features, or only the ones you disagree with? :)

Couldn’t help but ask for an opt-out. I understand that the request is a little farfetched :P

Thanks for engaging and I see the new order of the ratings box. Much better, thanks!

2037 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

It is really great to see how fast you guys react in last time, keep on making the marketplaces better!

176 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • France
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
StudioLeBus says

i had some 5 stars ratings (maybe 9) with this item Gypsy jazz for Nina [link removed] that desappeared since the new rating system… is there some way to check that and get them back ??
When did they disappear? How did you know you had 5 — did you see them in the breakdown and they’ve now since been removed?

hello thx for the answer I know it because it was showing 5 stars !... i noticed it has been removed some days ago, i think it disappeared when the rating sysyem changed… hope you can help… thx !

923 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Russian Federation
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
permian says

There were 5 stars or there was a caption “5 ratings”?

by
by
by
by
by
by