• Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • France
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
StudioLeBus says

there were 5 stars with written 8 or 9 ratings i think !... i’m not sure exactly but i know it didn’t show nothing !!!

1177 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
dotnpix says

It’s great, thank you… :)

1397 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

I have a suggestion. Show two ratings, one for the current version and one for all versions combined. This is how the Apple App Store works. See example

601 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Typps says

I have a suggestion. Show two ratings, one for the current version and one for all versions combined. This is how the Apple App Store works. See example

+1

Love it. This is perfect. It makes sense because we sell software and not every version is the same. Software gets better in time and this rating mechanism takes that in consideration where the current rating reflects the current version as an improvement over the previous. After all, updates are free!

3414 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

I have to disagree with this. It makes the “Current Version” rating unnecessarily volatile. Lots of plugins get unwarranted 1-star ratings from time to time. Having all ratings averaged effectively dulls the blow, but with latest-version ratings you could end up with a 3-star (or 1-star) “current” rating on a 5-star item just due to bad timing.

I actually see this as a major issue with the Apple App Store. There is plenty of great software in there that is rated poorly for its current version because customers didn’t like the latest changes, and things like that – not because they are bad products.

Essentially starting over again with ratings every time you submit a new release is going to discourage authors with good ratings from updating frequently as well, as it’ll always be a risk.

But beyond those arguments, this simply isn’t possible – how can you tell what version a customer is rating? The system doesn’t know what version they’re using, unlike the App Store where everyone pretty much auto-upgrades. So there is no way to reliably attach a rating to a specific version of the product. We’re not a closed ecosystem like the App Store.

1397 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
WebSmacker says

...So there is no way to reliably attach a rating to a specific version of the product. We’re not a closed ecosystem like the App Store.
Umm, this would be easier than you think. There is a “Last Update” date on the items. I’m sure there is also a date for each rating. So…
current version rating = ratings >= last update date
all versions rating = every rating

As a buyer I would love to see the current version ratings. It tells you how people like/dislike the most recent version, the one that you would be downloading.

3414 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
+4 more

...So there is no way to reliably attach a rating to a specific version of the product. We’re not a closed ecosystem like the App Store.
Umm, this would be easier than you think. There is a “Last Update” date on the items. I’m sure there is also a date for each rating. So…
current version rating = ratings >= last update date
all versions rating = every rating
As a buyer I would love to see the current version ratings. It tells you how people like/dislike the most recent version, the one that you would be downloading.

You’re making the assumption that the timing of the ratings corresponds to the current version of the plugin, but that is not an accurate assumption. Of course you could make an educated guess, but it wouldn’t be reliably accurate.

As an example, a customer who purchased a product a year ago could come rate the item today. Who knows what version they’re currently using and therefore rating? They may have upgraded to the latest version, or they may never have upgraded, so applying this rating to the current version may not be accurate.

We could simply ask them to select a version, but in my experience many customers don’t even know that products have versions, and wouldn’t know how to find out which version they are running if asked, so we couldn’t assume their reports are reliable.

Now, if we were able to create a real versioning system, where you could group ratings by the “current” major release, that’d be one thing, and I think it’d be a good idea (again, if it could be implemented reliably – which means more data about the user’s current installation than is currently collected). But to have the “current” version include point-releases does everyone a disservice.

In other words, if you’re on version 2.6, I agree that showing a “current” rating that only includes ratings from version 2.0+ is a good idea. But if you’re on version 2.6.1.2, and the current rating excludes ratings from 2.6.1.0 and 2.6.1.1, and even 2.6.0, that makes little sense to me. Volatile ratings are just going to make it harder to get a read on the quality of a plugin.

Keep in mind the volume here isn’t nearly as high as on the App Store, so you’re not getting as large a sample with each release, either. And a smaller sample size means less reliable data, which is really my point here. By providing a “current” rating we so restrict the sample size that the rating becomes very unreliable. That’s bad for authors when a few random bad ratings make a good product look bad, and it’s bad for buyers when a few random good ratings make the product look better than it is. A larger sample size is simply a more reliable indicator of quality, and we should aim to display the most reliable data we have :)

A simpler way to do this might be to display the ratings for the last 3 months, or last 50 ratings, whichever is more. This is easier to determine and gives a general idea of which way the product is heading, but again the data isn’t necessarily a reliable indication of the latest version of the product. It’s a fuzzy statistic any way you cut it, as the underlying data simply isn’t available.

Hope that makes sense :)

1397 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
WebSmacker says

Good points! Thanks sevenspark

3414 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
+4 more

Good points! Thanks sevenspark

Sure thing! :)

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

I have to disagree with this. It makes the “Current Version” rating unnecessarily volatile. Lots of plugins get unwarranted 1-star ratings from time to time. Having all ratings averaged effectively dulls the blow, but with latest-version ratings you could end up with a 3-star (or 1-star) “current” rating on a 5-star item just due to bad timing.

This is the best argument against version ratings. Lets say you have an overall rating of 5 stars with 300 votes. Then your newest version has a 3 star rating with 3 votes. Sales will plummet.

by
by
by
by
by
by